Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Updates:

Coral color: If you use zeo/vodka (with a skimmer) and have pale coral colors, it is not because the "nutrients are too low". It is because the FOOD is too low. The skimmer removes the food (almost all of it) that the corals need to eat. Turn the skimmer off and the colors will come back. Of course your nutrients (Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate) will come back too, but hopefully you now know how to fix that by now. Some people mistakenly try "adding nutrients" such as potasium nitrate, but that is the opposite of what is needed. Nutrients (Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate) are not needed; FOOD is needed. Eric Borneman says: "Adding potasium nitrate to a tank whose corals are losing color because of zeo/vodka dosing is the most convoluted, complex, unnatural and bizarre way to get to an end result that is so easily achieved other ways."

Screen Growth: Don't forget that the more algae you remove every week from your screen, the more nitrate and phosphate you are pulling out of your tank. Thus, the more growth, the lower your Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate will be in your tank, and, the more baby pods you will have in your water.

Bulbs: Importance of the light being consistant across the screen: CFL bulbs are cheap and easy, but they put all the light into one spot. So there is really no purpose in having a screen much larger than the bulb:

CFLgrowth.jpg

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Hey what's the best way to hang the sceen in the pipe so it doesn't tear in time?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Plastic canvas should never tear.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM

I got the plastic canvas mesh 7 and scuffed 4 sheets front and back, I was checking out the shower curtian hangers they seem like a good way to go.

lzrlvr

i think i will give this method of filtration a try.currently i am only using a small sponge filter,live sand and live rock in my 12 gal nano so i dont think it will harm my tank since i am already fighting algae.

niqiri

So what kind of light bulb have people had the most success with?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

One CFL on each side of the screen = easy, cheap, least results.
Several CFL on each side = better results
T5HO every few inches = best results

0.5 actual (not equivalent) fluorescent watts per gallon MINIMUM.
1.0 actual (not equivalent) fluorescent watts per gallon for HIGH filtering.
18 hours of lights ON, and 6 hours of lights OFF, each day.

GrendelPrime

i was just wondering if people are still having great results with their ats..i read this topic over the last few days and just wanted some feed back from some of the people who set theres up a yr ago and if there has been any unexpected negetive results

AndyMan

Another question, I am noticing that I am getting red algea on my sand and on some of my live rock. I am about a month into running the ATS. My screen color is light green to yellow in areas on the screen however getting decent build up every week. Does the Yellowish color of the algae on the screen mean I am doing something off?

Also, can I run some phosphate removal material while the scrubber matures still or will I harm the process by doing this (ie: PhosBusterPro)?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Read back a few pages for the success posts.

For the red algae, you are just not scrubbing enough compared to how much you are feeding. Yellow means too much light for how much flow you have. Improve flow, if your screen is rough enough to hold on to the algae. Or reduce lighting time, or increase distance.

You can run phosphate remover, but, you can have your scrubber pulling out phosphate within a week if it's set up right.

Post pics if there are any more problems.

GrendelPrime

i was at my homedepot looking at the 23 watt cf floods but i didnt see anything on the boxes that told u if its either 2700k or 3000k, alls i saw was soft light and day light how can u tell what the k rating is?

AndyMan

Read back a few pages for the success posts.

For the red algae, you are just not scrubbing enough compared to how much you are feeding. Yellow means too much light for how much flow you have. Improve flow, if your screen is rough enough to hold on to the algae. Or reduce lighting time, or increase distance.

You can run phosphate remover, but, you can have your scrubber pulling out phosphate within a week if it's set up right.

Post pics if there are any more problems.

Thanks, found it...exact issue I am having.

If and when I get this finally working I will want to send you a thank you gift!!!

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

"Warm" and "Soft" light bulbs will work.

gilsonal

Sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked before, but is anybody making these for sale? The idea is very interesting and I'd love to get rid of my noisy skimmer. However I don't think I have sufficient DIY skills to make one myself. I'd be happy with a bucket setup but am also considering trying a sump so I could go that way as well.

gilsonal

That one is a bit to high tech for me...how about a bucket style one? I'm in grad school and too broke for something fancy.

wringo

Hi S Monica:
These photos for my Alga scorobber after i maded it:

my plane water felow from overflow box into this part on secreen:

the water felow without secreen

after run secreen

this My video tank and full sys.
YouTube - my tank.mp4

What is your advice?​

donj4077

hi this is for nitrate removal, i use a aquaripure nitrate removal filter i have had it running for 6 weeks my nitrates are at zero. no lights needed no cleaning just add vodka every 4 days and ajust drop rate. is your way have more benefits? oh phosphates zero too. start cost $259.00 not free. please give me your thoughts.