MDK's S650

Mdk16

I have it Matt and it's awesome. If there is room, I highly, highly recommend the auto neck cleaner. If you attach a collection jug you won't have to touch your skimmer for a month.

...stupid auto correct

Thanks Mike. I didn't realize you were running one. The neck cleaner does look awesome.

Mdk16

Got the super reef octopus 3000int. This skimmer rocks. It's silent and I was able to eliminate the mag9 that was feeding the cskim. I put it in the Left side of the sump and it fits perfectly. I also put a 90 elbow on the end to eliminate the splashing water sound.

Mdk16

It's been a while since I posted but have been checking in to keep up with all the new builds. It's nice to see some new members. The tank is doing well, the skimmer was definitely the best addition to date. So much more effective and quiet. I'm wondering if it's actually striping too many nutrients from the system as I am still struggling keeping anything other than leathers and mushrooms. I have been in communication with Jeff at Steve's LEDs and he thinks I may be running the lights at to low an intensity. Around 58-60%. I have began to slowly raise the values but after reviewing some of the par readings out there on the smaller tanks I believe I should have plenty of light at 60%. Maybe too much. That's my only complaint with the LED ungrade. It would be nice to have a chart with Par readings at different levels so that we know the range and it's not a complete guess.

I plan on a large water change shortly and then I will begin adding some corals again.

Mdk16

Started to reintroduce some lps. This is a pic of a 20plus head frogspawn and a 10 head hammer. I started dosing 2 part regularity and have attriibuted my inability to keep corals long term due to a lack of dosing and a poor water change schedule. Let's hope this change results in long term success. Unfortunately I'm traveling for a week and have not yet bought a doser so hopefully all will be ok upon my return. Bought a camera to keep an eye on things.

I still have not figured out how to take a pic with my iPad with these LEDS.

Mdk16

I wanted to share this.

I installed a slide out panel to mount equipment on and eventually an apex. It has soft close tracks and slot board on the backside for cord management. Turn per out great add added needed real estate and accessibility to the chiller compartment.

Choff

Great idea on the slide out Matt. Sorry to hear you are having issue keeping some corals. Are you running any t5 in addition to the led? I run 2 in the front and 2 in the back for 4 hours staggered each day. The front pair pair comes on first and a hour later the back pair comes on. I run the ones the farthest from the center channel to minimize adding heat to the LEDs. I really like the combo.

Mdk16

That's an interesting idea Mike. Did you find you had better growth running the t5's?

What about the extra heat, I got rid of my chiller and the tank is steady at 78/79.

I really believe there is plenty of light. I'm running the leds at around 51% and have good polyp extension. I think my issue is that the corals are depleting the Calcum, Alk and Mag and my poor water change schedule and lack of dosing slowly kills them. Up until recently I was under the impression that a lightly stocked LPS tank would not suck up much and was not testing regularity. My phosphates are also up so I'm treating that currently. I'm working on determining my tanks consumption and the next purchase will be a doser. I was just getting the levels under control before I had to leave for vacation for a week.

Back to the T5's. I assume you are running them at the heat of the day? What combo are you using? Also, is any mod required to run only 2 bulbs in each wing?

Choff

No mod needed, they turn on in pairs though. I run a blue plus paired with a. Coral plus and a ge 6500.

The issue I had with just the LEDs in the center is spread. There is also a known issue with LEDs and growth in the undersides of sps branches losing color.

It's hard to say if running the t5s or adding the calcium reactor helped my system the most because I did them at the same time. My co,or has always been strong and growth weak. It's still not great, but saw improvement when I added both.

There is added heat, but I can't say how much. My basement sump keeps things pretty cool without a chiller. Just running the 2 farthest from the center helps keep the heat away from the LEDs which is my main concern. I kick the front pair on at 11 for 4 hours and then then the back pair come on at noon for 4 hours. So a total of 5 hours at least 2 bulbs are on and for 3 hours 4 are running. Initially I did half of that with 2 hours each and built up to 4.