Mayja's RSR 450 Reef Adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thin? Are you suggesting it's narrow at 18.5 inches? [emoji12]

Here are some side shots. Plenty of room to aquascape and drag my algae scraper around the tank.

458250a9b42c43adde43b578040ee4bc.jpg

99e7da9dc0c35ebb98e31451b7f4ca59.jpg

e59032b715cc8a6b57cb0a6667441460.jpg
Rockin' scape!
Thanks for the shots though, it give a little more indication as to the depth :) Looks like it has a decent width to it :)

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Starting to get some brown nasty stuff growing deep in the substrate, against the glass, on top of the substrate and on the rocks. Please remind me that this is the normal ugly tank syndrome stuff. I'll post a pic when I'm home.

StirCrayzy

I started my current tank with half the recommendation (ordered 38g CUC for 65g tank) and they still got lost in the rockwork.
I would be comfortable going half size to start, and they won't starve if youre feeding the tank.
It's easy to add more stuff later. Also I've gotten the Bag-o-pods from John and would definitely get them again, and suggest to anyone wanting to add diversity to pod population.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Came downstairs yesterday to check on the wrasse and feed him. He's been fine for the past week: swimming and eating. I had added some RO/DI water to the tank to top off before going to bed.

Today, he's on his side breathing heavily. I test the water: ammonia! That can't be right. Then I test the RO/DI water: ammonia!! Oh shut! I run upstairs and test the DT: slight ammonia.

I pulled the heater and pump out of the RO/DI bin: slimy to the touch. Arghhhhh!

My RO/DI bin will be soaked in a bleach solution and dried outside. Same with my ATO tank and pump. I'm making new RO/DI water into my smaller 20g Brute bin now. The QT tank will be completely drained and refilled with new water.

The wrasse is in an acrylic box with holes and a lid (part of my acclimation kit) and has been moved to the DT since that is the best water I've got right now.

c9b05a0f6b4d828560710e254e236bdd.jpg

Prime was added to the sump to clear up ammonia being dumped in from the ATO and the ATO has been shut off. He's still lying on his side breathing heavily.

I'm not worried about disease with this one as he was at the LFS from May 29th till July 12th, eating and acting normal, and they run copper in all of their tanks. He shows no signs of disease that I can see.

I really am kicking myself right now. How did I get so much ammonia in my RO/DI bin? It's a 32g Brute food-safe trash can. I have a powerhead circulating the water constantly and the temp is 79 degrees. It has a lid to keep out dust and cats.

This is the first time that I've ever stored RO/DI water as I always had to make it on demand before. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

That's something I've never encountered, there's got to be some type of contaminant that got in there.

I generally brew up 20g of RODI right after a WC, and that might sit for a week or two in a brute bin before I add salt and start mixing . Until I add salt, I only circulate for 15 minutes per 4 hours, then it's constant until it gets used.

bluespotjawfish

Dang! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your display tank recovers quickly. I would get Prime and add it to protect any fish in the display from the ammonia and nitrites. Hang in there.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Dang! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your display tank recovers quickly. I would get Prime and add it to protect any fish in the display from the ammonia and nitrites. Hang in there.

Already added Prime to the sump for the DT. Nothing there showed signs of agitation: clownfish are fine, all corals are open. So, I caught that one and lucked out.

Unfortunately, the wrasse didn't make it. :(

Blue Space

I really am kicking myself right now. How did I get so much ammonia in my RO/DI bin? It's a 32g Brute food-safe trash can. I have a powerhead circulating the water constantly and the temp is 79 degrees. It has a lid to keep out dust and cats.

This is the first time that I've ever stored RO/DI water as I always had to make it on demand before. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe the cat is urinating in the water? Or your bf...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.