Max's new 250 adventure

Hey guys,

First off I am glad to join such an awesome and friendly community. I have been following threads and reading posts here for months while I was waiting on doing an upgrade to my existing 28 gallon bowfront reef. Well I finally decided to take a plunge and ordered a brand new RSM 250 from Dr Foster and Smith aquatics. They had it for about 50 dollars less than others and throw in a gift card and a starter kit so I decided to go with them. So now the wait begins! And I am not the most patient person in the world lol. Anyways there is a lot of work being done currently as I am moving into a new apartment so after all the interior renovation is done in about a week I will set up the tank. I am planning on going with Marco rocks 50lbs and using a piece of my LR to seed them. Then I will slowly transfer my current fish and corals. Pics will come as soon as the tank arrives. I promise!!

Max

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Max,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Congrats on the new beautiful RSM 250 - Great to see you start a tank thread !

clka

Welcome and congrats on the new tank! You will like working with the Marco rocks...

Cheryl

Thanx for the warm welcome everyone! I am very excited and can't wait for the tank to arrive. Quick question though... What do you guys think is the best way to transfer my livestock over? I was thinking to cycle the new tank with a deli shrimp since it will be 90% base rock with a piece of my live rock to seed, and then after the cycle is over transfer my cuc and corals and then fish which i only have 2 clowns, a bicolor blenny and a cardinal. Or should I transfer all my liverock from my 28 bow and all the water and livestock and then just add more saltwater straight away?

imaccat

When I transferred from my smaller tank to my 250 I cycled the tank first using some LR from the old tank and new LR and new sand. Once it had cycled I then gradually added the fish so not to shock the new system into a mini cycle. I had no reason to rush it so I didn't take any chances.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
What do you guys think is the best way to transfer my livestock over? I was thinking to cycle the new tank with a deli shrimp since it will be 90% base rock with a piece of my live rock to seed, and then after the cycle is over transfer my cuc and corals and then fish which i only have 2 clowns, a bicolor blenny and a cardinal.

More one way to proceed... but I just went from a RSM 130D (with in the last 12 weeks) to a new & beautiful RSM 250 - and I did exactly what you described above - worked perfectly for me
050.gif

Pictures will come as soon as the tank is delivered I promise. Can't wait! However its actually perfect because it should be arriving in about 3-4 days and by then all the construction in my apartment will be finished so I can set it up right away.

Just found out that my tank will be delivered on Dec 6th via Pilot Air Freight. Can't wait :drooool: . I hope that Pilot Air is a good company and everything arrives in one piece. Any one have any experience with them? And are the RSMs packed well to protect the tank? Would hate to have a tank arrive in 5 pieces.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats !

I have ordered a RSM 130d & a RSM 250 - all RSM tanks in the states drop ship from Houston, TX (no matter where you order them on the net) and they are packaged great !