Maxreefer's Elos System120 build....

MAXreefer

After having my Elos Mini for a while I wanted to go for something "bigger" and once again I decided to go with the Elos brand. I really like the sleek and modern design and if you see an Elos tank you will notice it is top notch quality. The glass is even superior to "Starphire glass" we see mostly here in the US. The edges are perfectly polished and the seams are perfectly cut and put together.
Of course the most important is what happens "inside" the tank but I also see it as a nice piece of furniture I can enjoy when I relax on the couch.

I will post the build and progress here along with lots of pictures.
Hope you will enjoy it.

Equipment:
  • Elos system 120 (47.24 x 22.5 x 19.69)
  • Elos cabinet with black doors
  • Elos sump
  • Skimmer: Elos PS1000. This is the brand new Needle wheel skimmer from Elos released at the InterZoo2010. I realize there are real good skimmers on the market who have proven to perform but after long talks with Jesse the Elos guy here in the US I really got the feeling they are standing behind this skimmer and it will perform extremely well. I like to try new things out and therefore willing to test and give this skimmer a shot.
  • Return pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0
  • Lighting: Elos Aquatop with 3-4 LED stripes
  • ATO: Elos Osmocontroller Digital
  • Additional filtration: 2 NextReef MR1 Shorty Media Reactor. One will be for the carbon and the other one for the Filtra M Zeolith
  • Water movement: Tunze Wavebox and 1 x MP40
  • Controller: Apex
  • Rock: For the first time ever I decided to go with Dry Rock. So far I used 70lbs. Quite a challenge doing the aquascaping having front and back from the tank visible.

The tank arrived about 2 weeks ago

web.jpg

MAXreefer

Some progress from last week...
Installed the cabinet lighting
Put sump in place

Figuring out now how I will do the plumbing and need to build a small cabinet next to the sump for all the electrical stuff.

Another view from the tank
web.jpg

Got those at Lowe's. Perfect for the bottom of the cabinet
web.jpg

Top view from the sump
web.jpg

Some LED's for the cabinet lighting
web.jpg

Sump in the cabinet
web.jpg

MAXreefer

Thank you guys!!

Little more done last weekend.:eek:lsmile:

Didn't wanted to drill a thousand holes in the original cabinet and therefore we placed another back and sidewall with laminated panels into the cabinet.
I like also to keep the electrical as far away from the sump as possible and therefore we build a small cabinet next to the sump. Top part will hold all the electronics and at the bottom will be the dosing pump and containers.
Hope I can fill the tank with water later today....

Full shot of the cabinet. Still need to clean up all the wires but will wait until I am sure everything will stay the way it is now.
The top part has the display panel for the Apex and the Wavebox controller.

web.jpg

The front display panel opens to the side and behind will be the the electrical stuff nicely covered by the display panel when closed.

web.jpg

Close-ups

web.jpg

web.jpg

Mounted the 2 small reactors (carbon/Zeolites) at the back of the cabinet

IMG_7206.jpg

Really like those magnetic probe holders from AvastMarine

IMG_7205.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Fantastic setup you have! That system will be a beauty, just as your other tanks have been. Any idea on when you'll put water in?

MAXreefer

Some work done this week.
Water is in the tank, reactors connected etc. Doing a test run now to check for any leaks.
More electrical crap in the compartment and ready to get the dosing pumps also.
Aqua E-Top and skimmer will be here on Wednesday.

Tried to keep all the wiring clean (all the power cords are in the grey split loom) and connected the 2 reactors
IMG_7224.jpg

Still a mess..:down:
IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

Ready for the dosing pumps. Really like those space saving jugs. They hold 1 Gallon each
web.jpg

Dweezil

I really like the look of the Elos tanks as well. They are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing this tank with life in it. :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
As others have said, beautiful tank! Looks like you're a "go big or go home" kind of guy!

MAXreefer

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Yesterday the Aqua Top E-Stripe fixture arrived!! :bouncer:

I saw pictures and videos of it but seeing this fixture in real just blows your mind away.
Not only does it look very sleek over the tank but it achieves everything I wanted:
  • NO fixture hanging from the ceiling
  • Covering the tank as I am planning on some "jumping" livestock
  • Being able to view the corals from the top without having to remove anything
  • As the glas panels can be easily opened it is very easy to do maintenance

I took those quick pictures just with the blue led's on.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The tank looks great and I really like the rockscape - good to see it up and running. The Aqua Top E-Stripe hood is a winner - I didn't realize that the glass cover was hinged - very nice!

MAXreefer

Got the skimmer today and installed it.
Really impressed with the quality and little details. Going to borrow a meter to measure the air intake.
Filled up the reactors with carbon and Zeolites.
Ready to start cycling...:jumprope:

web.jpg

web.jpg

Nice detail is being able to remove the top part for easy cleaning
web.jpg

Carbon on the left and Zeolites on the right. Will post some more information regarding the Elos Purist Line I am going to run on this tank
web.jpg

Full shot of the sump
web.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looks like a top quality, well built skimmer - I hope it performs for you. Nice job and everything looks neat and tidy!

MAXreefer

To start the cycle I used a small piece of fresh fish and a very small amount of skimmate from the frag tank.
Started also dosing the Elos Purist Line products.

I was impressed to see the skimmer in action only being a couple hours installed in the sump.
I didn't expected to see any skimmate as there is almost no bioload. Just sand, rocks
and the piece of fish.

After about 3 hours
web.jpg

web.jpg