MAX 250 in the works

JOHNY

Hello everyone!
Im the newbie in town. I should be getting my new max 250 in about a week or 2.
I have been reading up for quite some time now but still have a few questions i would like answers for as im getting mentally psyched for the journey.
So far i have bought:
r/o unit and a tds metter
a Tom aquatics thermometer
70lbs of live rock: 30lbs sulawesi, 20lbs totoka fiji, 20lbs fiji premium (all cooking at my LFS)
1x koralia 3 ( should i add a 2nd one?)

The main questions i have are after i set up the tank:
do i mix water/salt directy in tank or out?
do i put sand in before or after mixing?
do i put rocks before or after sand ( if rock goes before than yes water is mixed already)?
is it realy better to have egg crates or pvc tubes to sit the rock?
where could i get good info to create good looking and stable aquascaping?

Looking forward to starting and the help i will find here.

Whipitup

Ro water in the tank first.
Add salt to suit.
Add rocks and aquascape 4 times (probably).
Add washed (in RO water) sand.
I sit the rock on the glass base (up to you though).

HTH's and welcome to the RSM club!!!

molsen187

in regards to your rock work there is a sticky in the general discussion forum here at rs that has some great ideas and pictures of rock scapes. really great looking ones.

Sapphire

That sticky is great - I can spend hours looking at that!

You can add the salt to the water in the tank - but this is the only time you can do that.

I put the substrate in before the rock but if I did it again i would probably put the subsrate in after the rock

I haven't tried the eggcrate etc - personal choice really.

Anywaywelcome and keep us posted and looking forward to seeing some pictures once you get going!

JOHNY

here it is and a couple of pictures of my progression.
So far i did my first saltwater mix today in the tank>
If all goes well i will go and get my rock tomorow

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
If you can afford a chiller johny, buy one and get it installed now. The max 250 is beautiful bit of kit, but it gets very warm. IMO adding just a chiller and water top up makes it complete...

I added live sand a few days before my live rock - which was three weeks ago....

JOHNY

If you can afford a chiller johny, buy one and get it installed now. The max 250 is beautiful bit of kit, but it gets very warm. IMO adding just a chiller and water top up makes it complete...

I added live sand a few days before my live rock - which was three weeks ago....

i live in montreal Canada so im not too worried about heat waves and i have central a\c + my max is in the basement where its alot cooler. But for sure its an option i am considering for the futur.

JOHNY

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu68/shlitz88/max1.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu68/shlitz88/max2.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu68/shlitz88/max3.jpg

Here are some pics of my max let me know what you guys think.
My cycle is just starting i noticed yesterday when i was testing my amonia was starting to peak. i did not add the nitro bac that came with the kit instaed i added a bucket of water from from LFS's system and want to take my time and let nature do its thing. Why try to rush things its a patience game.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are on your way :) pics of aquascape looking good!

PS: at Photobucket... under "Share"

Click on tab "Get link code"

Under "IMG for bulletin boards & forums:" click & then right click copy

Then here on RS in a post, right click paste, to copy the "code link to your pic" here & your pictures will appear here on RS.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Johny - I hope you don't mind, but I'll try posting your pics as images so that no one misses out on seeing that nice tank:

max1.jpg

max2.jpg

max3.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
JOHNY - no problem and it was very easy. I figured it would be easier for folks to see all 3 pics at once. :)

JOHNY

well my 250 has been cycling for a little under 1 mths.
i just finished all my tests and all is good.
Ca: 450
ph: 8.4
Alk: 3.2
Amonia:0
nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
I performed my 1st water change about 10% and will be running all the test again in 2 days. If all is good again i will be introducing my 1st pair of fish.