Matts New RSM 250!!

matthew11

Thanks for the reply - he is so pretty... just googled him, can see he gets pretty big...

QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 220 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 1' 3"
Color Form: Black, Blue, White, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Fiji, Indonesia, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Vanuatu
Family: Pomacanthidae

haha I know, my emperor angel was a beautiful fish! but due to the size and his voracious appetite for clams i had to get rid of him :( so now only got 2 wrasses in the tank. I still cant upload pics its got a big error at the top of the page :( if I cant do it, I will use photobucket :)

matthew11

Hey guys, sorry. im using photobucket now as theirs still an error with me uploading pics :( But here was the initial setup + 1 week after installation. Will take some pics of my current tank soon.
My lights turned on before and i have microbubbles!! tried adjusting the skimmer but thats not having an effect....also im cleaning my skimmer out every few days is this normal? its so much more efficient than the RSM 130 skimmer bu its alot harder to clean out the RSM 250's collection cup.

alot of water
10012011374.jpg

10012011376.jpg

1 week after setup :D parameters all good.
10012011377.jpg

17012011400.jpg

Acro seems to b doing great, although i havent seen his polyps out yet :S
17012011401.jpg

sarcophyton very happy!
17012011402.jpg

canary wrasse and six-line no longer fighting!
17012011403.jpg

matthew11

Thanks nanoreefing4fun, Dweezil & Reefmack. Here are some more recent pics of the coral i got yesterday and the 3 pieces of rock. sorry for the blurred pics, i dont know whats wrong with my phone camera.

Got a new bridging rock :D
22012011410.jpg

forgotten the name of this coral but it looks great!
22012011411.jpg

elegance coral :)
22012011412.jpg

close up, im planning to build up the rock on the left, It will hopefully look good wen its all finished
22012011413.jpg

Getting a heap of algae, so planning on getting a phospate reactor soon, I also enquired about the reef lite controller but apparently they cant be converted with aussie power adapters :(

really hoping on getting some more fish soon, definitely schooling fish such as chromis or lyretail anthias :D wen i find them though..

GregT

Looks very good Matt, liking the islands look. Pity about the Angel.
Have you been affected by the flooding?
- and congrats on the crickets one-dayers

cheers
Greg

matthew11

Matt on the algae - one help is to have a hardy cuc of snails - love snails for cuc, lots of snails, lots...
haha i have heaps of snails! well alot of small snails but i suppose i should go get a couple of the big turbo snails to help :) but im finding its hair algae thats my problem....i havent tested phosphates yet as i dont have a kit. testing nitrate today again. will be gettng a phosphate reactor within the next week so hopefully that should calm things down cuz im cleaning the tank atleast once a day to keep up with it.

Matt love it are you on MASA? you don't need to be just asking
believe it or not thats the first aussie reefing website ive actually seen :O so no i havent joined up but i will look into it. for the past 5 years ive been on forums in europe and now the US never my own country lol!

Looks very good Matt, liking the islands look. Pity about the Angel. Have you been affected by the flooding? - and congrats on the crickets one-dayers cheers Greg
Thanks very much I was trying to achieve an island look :D no luckily not, the flooding in victoria is mainly in the north western suburbs and I live in the south eastern suburbs so very lucky indeed :)

been looking into ReefKeeper Lite Controllers however I would need a 240V to 110V power transformer for it to work, if it will work...there are so many good mods for the red sea max 250 :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Matt a here a lot, :)

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (65 Gallon)

64 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

23 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

20 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

14 Large and 15 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Unfortunately, I don't think ReefCleaners will do Matt much good in Australia. Nice choice of snails though.

matthew11

This is the first time i have read this thread. Beautiful tank, a real joy to see.
Thanks very much! stay tuned for more pics, having alot of trouble finding the right coral & fish at the moment but ive learnt to be patient haha :)

Matt a here a lot, :)

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (65 Gallon)

64 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

23 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

20 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

14 Large and 15 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.
Wow thats awesome! but if only i could buy that package :( when i go to the LFS next i will pick up some more cleaners however i havent seen much around lately :S because of the floods up in Queensland alot of the marine shipments have been delayed :( so i guess its still a waiting game. Still looking at the Octopus PhosFusion 1500 :D stay tuned for more pics soon, hopefully will have some more stock in by the end of this week :)

matthew11

Hi again,

Sorry everyone for not getting back, once uni started i kind of fall off the map. But semester is nearly over now so hopefully will be able to contribute a bit more to the forum :) I thought everyones helped me out alot with different advice such as the ammonia spike...which has disappeared now however cyano is a big problem but im dealing with it so all good :) I purchased some new lights so far

2 x 39W Fiji Purple T5 HO Fluorescent KZ
1 x 39W New Generation 14000K T5 HO Fluorescent KZ
3 x 39W Super Blue T5 HO Fluorescent KZ

I've read that 2 fiji purples might be too much but will wait and see, i can always buy another coral light to soften things up a bit....What do you guys think? Heres some pics of my tank from over the past couple of months :)

This is probaly from when you guys saw it last...it changed quite a bit from here on
DSC09306.jpg

elegance
DSC09435.jpg

happy dispar anthias
DSC09408.jpg

DSC09385.jpg

DSC09396.jpg

My Dory
DSC09303.jpg

Canary wrasse
DSC09311.jpg

clowns that always argue
DSC09392.jpg

DSC09299.jpg

hermit with a patch of algae growing on his shell
DSC09487.jpg

Most Recent Pic
30042011796.jpg

30042011802.jpg

30042011801.jpg

Scarlett cleaner shrimp
30042011799.jpg

I just fed the fish and corals plankton thats why the water looks like it has microbubbles.

Im hoping the Lights will really brighten up the tanks but i hope i havent made the mistake by buying 2 fiji's....since the ammonia spike the tank has suffered quite bad but it will only be a matter of time before i get back ontop of it and get everything back to normal :) Hope you all like the pics! off to uni now so talk to everyone soon