mattgee's 130c

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I never seen a tank on RS that it was a problem and I have seen it posted with id, dozens & dozens of times... imo

Critter Category: Plants/Algae
Check this out: Neomeris annulata in abundance!! Never have I ever seen it in a tank like the picture above. Usually you'll see at most 5 branches of this calcium-based macro algae, and it tends to only live a short duration. Ryan has so much of it growing in his reef that he's giving it away. He even posted a picture of a snail on the glass with Neomeris sp. hanging off the shell like an octopus. Amazing. Reef-safe

http://www.melevsreef.com/critters/neomeris-annulata

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would not remove my rock that had it on it, I would see if it didn't live a short duration, as I have seen it do in many tanks... I have googled it & still have this opinion

See what others think...

if you want start a new thread on it & get ever ones thought ... there are lots of smart RS members that could offer some insight, I don't want to over do discussing it in mattgee tank thread, just because I noticed it and he didn't even ask about it.

mattgee

PREMIUM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Regarding the Neomeris annulata think i will leave it in. Thanks for the heads-up on it nanoreefing4fun, didnt ask what it was as I didnt even notice it. If you spot anything else in my pics please shout up. I will keep an eye on it but it looks nice and adds colour.

mattgee

PREMIUM
sidebar - if you ever would like me to change your threads name to something like mattgee's 130c or whatever, I could make that happen, if you like :)

Would love if you can do this for me please nanoreefing4fun

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome !

I have seen a few tanks where it was a problem googling, but many many more where it just went away. Might research it some more if interested, there are a lot smarter people on RS than I, I just share what I have learned along the way from other RS members. Also see what others think, wisdom comes from the counsel of many :)

We have a dedicated sub-forum on RS on plants & algae too, where you can get some great input from all RS, outside of just the RSM Club - hope this helps
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/marine-algae-plants/

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Reef safe? Not exactly.
If you truly have Neomeris annulata, I suggest you remove the rock and eradicate it now.
It can become invasive, I would not risk it.
Just google it.
How about Reef Safe with Caution? That seems fair enough yes?

For the record I had that exact Macro Algae in my 90g tank for a short while. It looked really cool but then simply turned brown and yucky and I removed it from the rock after a few months.
Just because you haven't seen it does not mean it never happens.
Google it.

Lots of things could fall in that scenario but what we do here is try to give the best and safest advice from our own research and personal experiences.

For the record a LFS (now out of business unfortunately) here in WNC had a tank FULL of that Macro by design. He loved the look of it (said it looked like a lush amazon forest floor) and sold "frags" of it to local reefers. It's like so many other aspects of this hobby.. what grows WILD in one system may not even survive in another. Xenia is a classic example of this. I grew it in my 10g system and the frags from it supported my tanks for a long time well until the local market became saturated with it LOL! Yet another member's tank {Lynn} she couldn't keep it alive period.

mattgee

PREMIUM
Hi All

Decided to go for it so last Saturday I added the first of my CUC

6 x Black Foot Trochus Snails

6 x Red Hermit Crab

Just done another set of tests and here are results

SG - 1.026

PH - 8.0

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 10

Ca - 420

Mg - 1560

dKH - 10.7 (used new test kit)

NH4 - 0

Temp was at 27.5 - used new digital thermometer with probe

Also installed ATO unit which is working fine. Skimmer is still skimming dry although if I open air valve it just floods, also using lights between 9 -6pm with moonlights at other times

Is everything looking fine and what am I looking for next?

Hope you can help

mattgee

PREMIUM
Re: mattgee's 130c - Temp spike

Hi all

Came down this morning to find my temp had jumped to 86.2 F (30.2 C)

Checked my thermostat which is set at 24 / 26C have my skimmer running and flow pump only. Not sure what has caused this temp spike in uk only around 16C.

Any ideas? Temp has always been 26 - 28 prior to this.

Help and advice would be much appreciated. Currently only CUC in the tank.

Thanks

mattgee

PREMIUM
Re: Skiimer pump issue?

Turned thermometer off - temp still climbed !

Checked skimmer pump and this seems to be running hot and heating water also. Has anyone else come across anything similar? Have currently removed pump and done a slight water change approx. 10 litre and have let the tank auto top up.

Temp now down to 27.4 degrees with lights on.

Any suggestions please ?:banghead:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
1st thing I would check is your thermometer... you are measuring it with... many are very unreliable, I have owned a 1/2 dozen & they all are a bit off, finally purchased a food grade high quality chief one

are you running the rear cooling fans 7/24 and made sure they are working?

mattgee

PREMIUM
Not running rear fans constantly as never had issue with temp before. Left over night with everything connected and came down to temp of 29.9 C Have put fans on again to reduce it but Mrs not happy due to noise !!!. Don't really want to go down road of chiller due to cost.

Any suggestions or mods I can do ?

Aearin

Not running rear fans constantly as never had issue with temp before. Left over night with everything connected and came down to temp of 29.9 C Have put fans on again to reduce it but Mrs not happy due to noise !!!. Don't really want to go down road of chiller due to cost.

Any suggestions or mods I can do ?

I'm in the same boat as you. It's not too bad living in England and the fact summers over now but i can imagine next year it will cause me some big problems. My surface fans running 24/7 keep it bouncing between 27-29 but i'm considering a chiller now.

It's an unplanned purchase and it's not ideal as they cost tons but i suppose you will never have to worry about them temperatures again.

mattgee

PREMIUM
Hi Aearin

Thanks for the reply. Now have rear fans running 24/7 and temp steady at around 27.2C.
Like you am worried about next summer so will start putting some aside and look to purchase a chiller around April time.

Can I ask are you East or West Midlands?

Thanks

clive60

Hi Mattgee.
I set up my c-130 back in march and had the same problem as you with overheating 84f I found that it is the Skimmer pump causing the overheating.
Red sea sent me a replacement pump but that did not resolve problem.
Running the cooling fans 24/7 works but with a lot of evaporation.
In the end I installed a chiller. and temperature now stays at 80f.

mattgee

PREMIUM
Hi all
Many thanks for the replies.

Rooprect - ambient room temp is around 23°C

Clive60 - yeah running fans 24/7 now temp steady at 27.2 - 27.8°C; as we are coming into winter will manage with fans and ATO until spring when I will look into installing a chiller.

Thanks
Matt