Marine Ich : Treatment Alternatives

kami808

I am on day 6 of hypo salinity . I see dramatic results . My butterfly fish was covered in it, not eating . And today no white dots , eating well . I do not see any dots on any of my fishes . On the 5th day my sallylightfoot crab died but my hermits are still doing OK. I am very happy with hyposalinity so far .

Side note, what's the quickest/best method to introducing new fish to a tank?
Freshwater dips? Copper?
a9e67e9051b4704793824c978156dc4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Sounds like things are going great. When I did tank transfer my fish went from being covered in dots to none within 6 days, so it sounds like you are doing it right. Just be sure to keep following standard protocol even though the fish look healthy.

I don’t think freshwater dips are all that common as a hobbyist regimen. They are a tad tricky and only get rid of some not all parasites.

I think the most common things to do are to either just watch the fish for few weeks and make sure it is OK in a QT or treat “pro-actively” with copper and prazipro in a QT for a few weeks just to treat for most common diseases just to be sure.

Although, there are clearly many other quarantine processes available. I know some people treat every incoming fish with tank transfer, for example.

Last edited:

DaveK

...Side note, what's the quickest/best method to introducing new fish to a tank?...

There are fast ways and there are best ways. The best way is to keep the fish in a quarantine tank for a few weeks before you introduce it to your main tank.

Using FW dips is better than nothing, but it's going to stress the fish with it's already stressed from the move. I'd consider that a toss up.

Uncle99

Agreed 4 weeks. I used the last week to increase the salinity by a maximum if .002 per day until I reached, in my case, 1.025, that's what my DT runs at.