Marine Ich : Treatment Alternatives

Pat24601

The lfs where I live is the ocean and amazon.com lol . I'm on day 3 of dropping sg. It's almost at 1.009 . I'm am waiting on that cuprmarine, copper, and my good heater to come in . I did fail to qt my new fishes that I now regret. Newbie mistake . Thanks for letting me know about hest treatment

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Cool. Let us know how it goes!

Uncle99

I am lucky only to have had 1 case of Ick in my 25 years, but it was about 8 ish months ago. No idea where it came from as I am very careful, but it got it. One of my darwins got it immediately and died within 7 days.

So I did a lot of research and came across thus Hypo thing.
The theory of Hypo is the parasite needs salt water to survive and if placed into a more fresh water mix, they would keep consuming water until they explode, thus killing the parasite. Kinda like a fresh water dip, but for Ick.

To be quite honest I just followed the prescribed reduction to 1.009, kept the water fresh with 1.009 replacement of 10% per day and in 7 days the spots were gone. I went another 7 with half strength cupramine, then 7 more days bringing the salt ppt up .002 per day until back to 1.026 where we started.

Saved a clown, a gramma, and a lawnmower which are back in the DT for about 7 months now.

I did not find it that hard at all, once I found the measure that made 1.009 water, it seemed quite easy. I nit iced the fish started eating again around day 4, then missed a day a few times, but by day 8 eating and swimming well.

It sometimes hard to say what is right...and what might be some luck.
Cupramine is the tried and true method which has been used forever. It kills the parasite and everything else as well, and if you use to much, the fish as well

Hypo, only seems to kill the parasite, and because the salt is so low, resipation is easier for the fish in this weakened state, thus less stress

I am assuming that I must have been close to 1.009, however not sure how close....could have been .008 to .010.....

Many using hypo use on tangs and delicates, whereas copper for the hardies....
I my readings, each person has their own opinion........

Pat24601

I am lucky only to have had 1 case of Ick in my 25 years, but it was about 8 ish months ago. No idea where it came from as I am very careful, but it got it. One of my darwins got it immediately and died within 7 days.

So I did a lot of research and came across thus Hypo thing.
The theory of Hypo is the parasite needs salt water to survive and if placed into a more fresh water mix, they would keep consuming water until they explode, thus killing the parasite. Kinda like a fresh water dip, but for Ick.

To be quite honest I just followed the prescribed reduction to 1.009, kept the water fresh with 1.009 replacement of 10% per day and in 7 days the spots were gone. I went another 7 with half strength cupramine, then 7 more days bringing the salt ppt up .002 per day until back to 1.026 where we started.

Saved a clown, a gramma, and a lawnmower which are back in the DT for about 7 months now.

I did not find it that hard at all, once I found the measure that made 1.009 water, it seemed quite easy. I nit iced the fish started eating again around day 4, then missed a day a few times, but by day 8 eating and swimming well.

It sometimes hard to say what is right...and what might be some luck.
Cupramine is the tried and true method which has been used forever. It kills the parasite and everything else as well, and if you use to much, the fish as well

Hypo, only seems to kill the parasite, and because the salt is so low, resipation is easier for the fish in this weakened state, thus less stress

I am assuming that I must have been close to 1.009, however not sure how close....could have been .008 to .010.....

Many using hypo use on tangs and delicates, whereas copper for the hardies....
I my readings, each person has their own opinion........

This sounds solid, thanks!

DaveK

There is also one more method that anyone younger than about 60 will not know about but some of us Geezers used many times and it is 100% effective.
The heat treatment. Just remove the animals and heat the water over 90 degrees for 24 or more hours. The ich will die but the microfauna and bacteria will be unaffected.
Then you can treat the fish any way you like, but copper in addition to "quinicrine hydrocloride" will clear a fish of ich in 24 hours. ...

This "old time geezer" method, heat, works very will for the FW version of the disease, Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. The SW version of the disease is Cryptocaryon irritans, something entirely different. Personally, I have tried it on SW fish, and heat will make it mature faster, but it would not kill the parasites. Copper, even way back then, was and is effective, but you sure don't want to use it on any tank with corals or inverts in it.

Last edited:

kami808

24hr update.
Sg : 1.0008 , temp: 78f .
Hermit crabs and sallylight foot crab looks like there doing fine . I though they would all be dead . Fishes eating well . Ich still the same . Using only a hang on back filter with carbon. Doing water check frequently and water changes as needed using paragaurd . So far so good.

Pat24601

24hr update.
Sg : 1.0008 , temp: 78f .
Hermit crabs and sallylight foot crab looks like there doing fine . I though they would all be dead . Fishes eating well . Ich still the same . Using only a hang on back filter with carbon. Doing water check frequently and water changes as needed using paragaurd . So far so good.

Thanks for the update. :)

Pat24601

I have cupramine and a uv sterilzer coming in this week. Should I also use them with hypo ?

It’s strongly recommended you do either cupramine OR hypo, but don’t do both at the same time. The problem is that cupramine can have a higher toxicity in a hypo environment.

Now, I think @Uncle99 mixed in both somewhere, but he’s a highly experienced saltwater guy. I wouldn’t do it. :)

Plus, one of the reasons to do hypo instead of copper is because it’s easier on the fish than copper. :)

I don’t see how a UV sterilizer would hurt, but it shouldn’t be necessary.

kami808

It’s strongly recommended you do either cupramine OR hypo, but don’t do both at the same time. The problem is that cupramine can have a higher toxicity in a hypo environment.

Plus, one of the reasons to do hypo instead of copper is because it’s easier on the fish than copper. :)

I don’t see how a UV sterilizer would hurt, but it shouldn’t be necessary.
Thank you very much ! [emoji4]

Uncle99

Good luck!
Feeding is essential, twice per day if you can.
I feed frozen brine shrimp with a syringe and a piece of rigid airline tube on the end, a squeeze out 1 piece at a time so not to foul my QT wAter too quick, I change about 10% at 1.009 every two days to keep it fresh.

Uncle99

Yup, I would go with one or the other not both.
When using both, I tried to compensate for toxicity by using only half the manufactures recommended dosage for saltwater, as the hypo is more like plain water than salt.
The problem with both, is like Paul says and also, now I don't know which one worked better, and maybe just a bit lucky...

kami808

It's been about 3 days using paragaurd and hypo. The really hardy fishes do not have white dots anymore . My crabs are still alive . My tangs still have dots but everyone's eating well.

Pat24601

It's been about 3 days using paragaurd and hypo. The really hardy fishes do not have white dots anymore . My crabs are still alive . My tangs still have dots but everyone's eating well.

It usually takes 3 - 8 days for all the white drops to "drop off" assuming your treatment is killing the free swimming stage.

So, things tend to clear up pretty fast. But, be sure to continue to follow the hypo procedure for the full treatment cycle anyway. Want to make sure all the cysts are taken care of.

Everyone eating well is the really big deal.

kami808

It usually takes 3 - 8 days for all the white drops to "drop off" assuming your treatment is killing the free swimming stage.

So, things tend to clear up pretty fast. But, be sure to continue to follow the hypo procedure for the full treatment cycle anyway. Want to make sure all the cysts are taken care of.

Everyone eating well is the really big deal.
Will do ! Thank u guys for the help

kami808

Differnce between ich and velvet?
These are 2 of my fishes
44ca13ed3f9310ba82af74fdbad75be8.jpg
cf11263363d556f34b4aecfe4b21edbe.jpg

Uncle99

Actually they are both organisms, but I don't know if hypo works on them as well....in this case you would go with cupramine (copper)

DaveK

Hyposalinity works well for SE ich. It doesn't work on velvet, so for that you use copper in some form.

Velvet sometimes makes the fish look like it's covered in yellow dust. That's why it is sometimes called gold dust disease. It is a really terrible infection to have, and you must move on it quickly. More that a few people have has almost total losses because of a velvet.