Making Sodium Carbonate can be fun!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
When preparing more alkalinity buffer today, I decided to take pics of the process and share them with you :)

Because my reef has chronically low ph (house has horribly high co2), I always use sodium carbonate instead of sodium bicarbonate. Thanks to Randy H. Farley, I learned the difference in the two types and how to make my own! An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Below are pictures to show how simple it is.

1 lb. of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
20071006MakingSodiumCarbonate002.jpg

Spread evenly on a cookie sheet
20071006MakingSodiumCarbonate003.jpg

Bake at 300 deg F for one hour
20071006MakingSodiumCarbonate006.jpg

After it cools, I spoon it into a glass jar for storage.
20071006MakingSodiumCarbonate007.jpg

Use the Reef Chemistry Calculator to determine the amount to use. :thumbup:

Enjoy!

Gina

RS STAFF
Very Easy!
Thanks for the great info Doni!
And what free movie are you going to get from Blockbuster?! LOL

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Is that it? That's all you do or are there "other" things that need to be done to compare this "2-part" mix for the aquarium? That just seems VERY simple.

Allen :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
This is showing just the alkalinity part. You will need the calciuma and magnesium parts to make a complete 2-part supplement. Next time I make my magnesium mixture, I will take a few pics.

DrHank

On the same theme, if you are making Randy's two part. Watch out on the Dowflake. Dowflake has changed and the new version is not reef safe. I'll try to get a link posted as soon as I can.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: Bob to the rescue! What did you "Plume Alert" go off when someone typed the word "Bake"? Bob you crack me up buddy!!

Doni, expect some PM's from me about this!! I'm intrigued yet hungry now!! I wonder if I can bake diner and the reef stuff at the same time. It might taste like pizza but that's ok too :)

A.

l3fty999

let me ask, whats the purpose of baking it ? what does this serve ?

According to the article, it makes brain cells, er, I mean, the baking soda more soluble... check out the link Woodstock posted at the beginning of the thread, it's kinda interesting.

Aaron

UTCreefer

Is that it? That's all you do or are there "other" things that need to be done to compare this "2-part" mix for the aquarium? That just seems VERY simple.

Allen :)

To make it more like B-ionic you need to mix it with water. Thats where baking it helps, it makes it more soluble.

For the calcium part i just use Hardness Plus from Leslie Pool Supply and mix 400g with 1 gallon of water. Be careful though its exothermic and gets hot when it gets wet. I always wear gloves because its caustic to skin.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
This thread refers to only one part of the 'two part' system. The second part is calcium chloride.

Baking the baking soda drives out Co2 and turns the baking soda from Sodium Bicarbonate into Sodium carbonate.
Both 'dissolve' the same but one brings more Co2 with it and the other does not. The effects of both act upon the water's PH very differently. Sodium carbonate will initially increase the PH of your water significantly whereas sodium bicarbonate might initially lower the PH a tad.