Macor's RSM 250 build

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm still trying to catch 2 of the 5 crabs that came on my live rock 4 months in to my tank, not to mention the mantis shrimp that was a pain to catch, and red turf algae which is still in my tank. I did get a few goodies on it, though, rock boring urchin, multiple good macroalgaes. If I had to do it again, though, I'd use dry rock. Just my .02 Good luck with whichever route you take.

macor64

heard some of those stories too :) sounds like a problem I don't want. thanks for sharing, appreciate the input.

macor64

So, I added coral pro salt this morning:

salt_in.jpg

Waiting for it to disolve. My understanding is that I should wait 24 hours before doing anything else to the tank, other that adjusting the temperature and checking salinity. Thinking of getting a digital thermometer. I assume any one will do, but does anyone have recommendations? also....after 24 hours, is it safe to begin with rock?

Thanks all

kungfu6.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
dry rock and sand could go in as soon as the salt dissolves - LR waiting a day would be a good idea

I have bought several digital thermometers, never have been happy with any - I currently use a kitchen one & it works great

macor64

after about 7 hours, my tank thermometer shows about 82.5F. should I be concerned? I am hoping to keep coral. Perhaps letting the tank go through a 24 hour cycle will give me a better idea to the temperature fluctations i should expect?

hoping I don't need to get a chiller.

imaccat

after about 7 hours, my tank thermometer shows about 82.5F. should I be concerned? I am hoping to keep coral. Perhaps letting the tank go through a 24 hour cycle will give me a better idea to the temperature fluctations i should expect?

hoping I don't need to get a chiller.

Do you have the surface cooling fans running? They can help to drop the temp a degree or 2.

macor64

Thanks...overnight the temps ranged from 82.0 to 83.0, if my digital thermometer is to be believed. :)

On the other hand, the skimmer is kinda noisy. More noticeable at night when it's quieter. Are there replacement pumps for the stock skimmer that will help quiet this sucker down?

Otherwise, I am happy with the tank so far. Got a load of Marco rock on its way as.well as some carib reef grade sand.

Woohoo

Macor64 uses Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Check and make sure your skimmer pump is a Sicce brand, when some RSM 250 1st shipped they had Hydor pumps

I think you will love the rock & sand ! Congrats

macor64

the pump is a sicce, i pulled the skimmer out to inspect it. It would be awesome if I could keep the skimmer but replace the pump with something quieter. It hums like a generator. Other than the racket it makes, how can I tell if this pump is defective?

definitely looking forward to my rock and sand :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have found sound is really subjective, like taste... I actually wrote a post on this using an expensive sound level meter & taking DB level readings of the 130D skimmer, they all make some noise, the air sucking is a good part of it... if it is really loud, I guess it could be defective, but if you are getting good foam & bubbles, I would not think so...

Might ask our Red Sea Reps Kev & Avaid what they think... in this thread http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea/37228-ask-red-sea.html

macor64

So I broke down and ordered a chiller because with the house at 77 degrees the tank was at 85 degrees, and this is in central florida winter, with lights, all pumps and fans going. I have received my marko rock, sand and am ready to move forward, but my tank water is also cloudy. Not so cloudy that I can't see through to the other side, but definitely no cystal clear either. There is nothing in the tank but the salt water mix. I used RS coral pro salt mix and added it directly to my tank, since there was nothing else in it. I read that turning off all the pump will help it settle. I'm skeptical but also a noob, so I'll try it. Is it also a good time to run tests on the water? if so, what are the best ones to test for and if anyone has tips to clear the water...Id' appreciate it. I am using ro/di water by the way. Here's a pic of the tank currentlycloudy tank.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nothing to worry about... you can proceed with adding the sand & rock... (be sure to rinse your sand before using it) it will cloud up again and them become crystal clear in a couple of days

One thing you can do to help, is rinse the fine filter several times a day & keep the pumps running

macor64

added salt and sand yesterday, so it's been about 16 hours since I did that and the tank is starting to clear up nicely (still a little cloudy). The skimmer seems to have quieted down a little and is making foam :). Installed a chiller, because I really don't want to worry about the temp getting too high and I live in Florida, so if the temps are getting up in the 83 - 84 range in the winter...the summer would be tough. Since i'm using marco rock and regular sand (non-live) any recommendations how can I start getting some bio action going ?

rock_sand_2.jpg

This forum has made this experience much better, thanks for all the great advice everyone !

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Have you added a deli shrimp? Just toss one in to get the bacteria started. Use a bag If you don't want the mess then sit back n let nature take over!

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

macor64

Thanks. I sacrificed deli shrimp for the cause. Told my son I was gonna get some shrimp and he assumed live shrimp. When he saw the deli shrimp floating in bag...he asked my wife why I massacred the new tank habitant so quickly and why the rest where boiling in a pot on the stove.

Taking a break for Christmas with the family... Merry Christmas :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk