MACNAXX in Atlanta

lcstorc

Why do I feel like we are the only ones excited about the trip?
Of course Hannah now has me worried. A hurricane cannot spoil this trip for me. She just needs to just stay in the Atlantic and spin off into nowhere.

mps9506

Why do I feel like we are the only ones excited about the trip?
Of course Hannah now has me worried. A hurricane cannot spoil this trip for me. She just needs to just stay in the Atlantic and spin off into nowhere.

I wouldn't be extremely worried about Hannah Lynn. Conditions aren't favorable for her to slam into you or me as a Cat 3 or 4 hurricane. But they sure don't know exactly what she will do yet. The computer models all point completely different directions.

Wunder Blog : Weather Underground
The forecast for Hanna
Since the center of circulation is fairly far removed from Hanna's heaviest thunderstorms, Hanna's center could reform to the southeast later today. This re-formation would alter the storm's eventual track, and make it less likely to recurve out to sea. Steering currents imparted by the counterclockwise flow around the upper-level low to its west will keep Hanna moving northwest, to a point midway between Bermuda and the Bahama Islands. About the four days from now, a strong blocking ridge of high pressure is forecast by most of the models to build over Hanna, forcing it to the southwest towards the Bahamas. The exception is the GFS model, which takes Hanna northeast out to sea. I'm discounting this solution at present, since it is the outlier. About five day from now, wind shear is expected to increase due to an upper level trough to the north. Upper level outflow from Gustav may also create some shear. The models respond by weakening Hanna to a tropical storm. In the very long range, the ECMWF model predicts Hanna will hit Cuba on Tuesday, then pass through the Florida Keys next Thursday. The NOGAPS model brings Hanna just off the South Carolina coast, and the other models stall it out northeast of the Bahamas. At this time, Hanna's intentions are a mystery. No Hurricane Hunter missions are scheduled into Hanna yet.

And FWIW nothing is keeping me away from MACNA. One more week :)

lcstorc

We've been watching and unless something changes pretty dramatically Hannah is not going to stop us. All set to leave first thing Thurs.
Thanks so much though. I had lost that web site and it is my favorite.

Octoman

Heads up for anyone with a Westin reservation. I cancelled mine since it is now definite I won't be going and they tried to charge me a 1 night penalty because they said it was too late to cancel. However, my confirmation I got from them months ago said I could cancel up to 24 hrs in advance without penalty. I had to call the Atlanta westin front desk to get the penalty waived (the 1-800# and the reservation desk in Atlanta both said they couldn't do it).

Lynn, I hope Hanna leaves you alone, I'm hoping it will just swing out to sea and go on its way...

lcstorc

Hanna is not going to stop me.
Sorry you had to cancel Mark. I was looking forward to meeting you.

Well, I'm officially out :( Looks like I will have to stay in Charleston in preparation for Hanna. Man, I was really excited about meeting all of you guys, but I guess it will have to wait until next year.

jonathan10

well...i'm one that is not cancelling because of Hanna....I'm actually leaving earlier! I will be heading up that way on Thursday because i hear we are going to be evacuated....so i called and added a night to our reservations! But now I will be having two little dogs along for the ride because...well the girlfriend won't leave them here!

But I am super excited though very nervous because I will be worrying about dead fish when I get home!! UHH

Frankie

RS STAFF
I just opened up two rooms are the Peachtree. almost forgot to cancel. Yes they allow dogs~

Octoman

Those of you traveling to MACNA from the Southeast, keep in mind that there is a chance there could be evacuation traffic in some areas on Thursday. You may want to plan alternate routes just in case...

mps9506

My dog has evacuation plans in case Hannah comes through NC while I'm in Atl. :D Seriously the contingency plan is in place in case I can't make it back in town or Wilmington is a mess when I get back. Hopefully won't be needed.

largo

has anyone got any reply from macna's emails about workshop tickets? I sent mine in and got a reply that I would be notified in a couple of days - but haven't heard anything yet