Lysmata wurdemanni larvae

tektite

At least that's my best guess :) One of my peppermint shrimp that I caught in Galveston had a spawn tonight. Caught some video of the larvae and my copperband eating them (he and my blue gudgeon goby were in heaven!)

Link to the video (embedding directly from vimeo doesn't seem to be working). You can see better detail in the larvae in fullscreen mode:
Baby Shrimp on Vimeo

I grabbed a handful of them and put them in a container with some phyto and rotifers. No idea how they'll do but thought I'd give it a shot since I have the supplies.

tektite

Oh, yes, I'm sure it was the peppermints, I'm not sure if they're Lysmata wurdemanni or Lysmata boggessi though.

That's a cool video with the shrimp spawning :)

My copperband is my favorite fish! He was so skinny when I got him, now he's nice and fat. Loves frozen mysis :)

tektite

The larvae I collected last night are still swimming around, I wish I had a microscope to take pics of them.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Awesome video!! SCORE on catching them feasting like that :)

Your tank looks GREAT!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
(A) Lysmata wurdemanni
(B) Lysmata rathbunae
(C) Lysmata ankeri
(D) Lysmata boggessi
(E) Lysmata pederseni
(F) Lysmata bahia

http://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/27306/27306.pdf

18666d1291230220-aiptasia-peppermint-shrimps-peppermints-id.jpg

So the next question, how to identify a TRUE Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata Wurdemanni) as opposed to Lysmata rathbunae.

From Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Peppermint Shrimp By Stephen Hopkins and Keith Redfield. Posted to Reefkeepers emailing list, Tuesday 2nd November 1999

Lysmata rathbunae - rostrum reaching as far as, or beyond, end of antennular peduncle; antennal scale 5 times as long as wide.

Lysmata wurdemanni - rostrum reaching not much, if at all, beyond second article of antennular peduncle; antennal scale less than 4 times as long as wide.

Yeah, Greek huh?? The book has nice line drawings to show the difference but let me attempt to explain. The ''rostrum'' is that sharp horn-looking projection on the top of the head which protrudes out the front like a serrated spear. Lysmata have three sets of antennae, and where the two front pair of antennae join is the end of the ''antennular peduncle''. The ''second article of the antennal peduncle'' is the second joint in that appendage the antennae arise from. The ''antennal scales'' are two flat blade-like projections sticking out the front of the head. They seem use these blades to help steer themselves when swimming.

So, if the end of the rostrum spear sticks out as far as where the front two pair of antennae join together, then it is a Lysmata rathbunae . If the tip of the rostrum does not reach as far forward as the point where the first two pair of antennae join, then it is a Lysmata wurdemanni . The antennal scale lengthwidth ratio is difficult to determine without catching the shrimp and measuring carefully, but the the length of the rostrum relative to the base of the front two pair of antennae is pretty much fool-proof.

While Williams spends most of several pages describing the anatomy in cryptic detail, he also provides some interesting comments which are excerpted below.

L. rathbunae
Variation - There are 2 varieties of L. rathbunae with the most obvious difference being the number of rostral teeth (number of serrations on that spear).
Habitat - Sometimes from sponges; the typical from generally occurs from 13 to 119 meters but the form with more rostral teeth generally occurs in depths of 9 meters or less.
Known Range - Range of the typical form is SE Cape Fear, NC , east coast of Florida to Yucatan. The range of the form with more numerous rostral teeth is Bermuda, Miami and Venezuela.
L. wurdemanni
Variation - There are also two forms in this species and they too are most easily differentiated by the number of teeth on the upper margin of the rostrum, the thickness of the second leg, and other stuff.
Habitat - Commonly found on stone jetties or AMONG HYDROIDS growing on piles or buoys, or in sponges. The EMPHASIS is mine but it may provide a clue to the food preferences of this species.
Known Range - Great Egg Harbor NJ to Port Aransas TX; Surinam; French Guiana; Mamanguape and Sao Paulo, Brazil
Remarks - When approached by a spiny boxfish or filefish, this shrimp begins rhythmically rocking to and fro; ascending vertically in a peculiar walking motion, it mounts its ''host'' and begins picking off parasites. The shrimp will swarm over the fingers of a person, picking at cuts and dead skin.
Mine turn out to definitely be L. wurdemanni and are probably of the typical form. Mine eat every small anemone in sight

tektite

Day 3 - these guys are so small! I don't have a macro lens, best I could do:

IMG_6422.jpg

Little eyes already glowing :) For a sense of scale, that's a 3/8" airline tube:
IMG_6419.jpg

tektite

Day 8 still going strong. Getting a little more color to them. I have them in a 1 gallon bucket with an airstone very slowly bubbling. Feeding them L rotifers, and adding some phyto every day for the rotifers to eat.

IMG_6449.jpg

IMG_6450.jpg

tektite

Probably not...probably end up trading them with other hobbyists. They're not worth too much in our reefing community here since you can drive an hour down to Galveston and collect hundreds at the shore after dark. Now if I can get my cleaner shrimp pair to spawn that would be a different matter :) I'm just raising them to see if I could :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Now if I can get my cleaner shrimp pair to spawn that would be a different matter I'm just raising them to see if I could

Would be cool to raise cleaner shrimp - we have a member here on RS that told me in Australia his cleaner shrimp cost him $120 each :dance: but gorgeous scollies cost him $30

Last edited: