LPS riding a CUC snail

RSM2008

$1.49 snail had what I thought was an anemone. But as it grew... and grew... I found that it was a LPS. He moves around with the snail stinging my xenia. Any ideas?

Attachments

• LPS1.jpg
    LPS1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 158
  • LPS3.jpg
    LPS3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 156
  • LPS5.jpg
    LPS5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 155

Varga

WOW you gotta be kidding me :D :D

I think that coral is large enough to be fragged off the snail and glued on to a plug?

reefer4200

ha varga, i say i completely agree!! frag an sell or atleast replace that snail aint gonna move much longer with that weight

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That snail is going to be a SPEEDY snail when you remove the coral. He's gonna be like "Man I sure got STRONG over night!"

aaromano

really cool... what type lps do you think it is? How do you get it off the snail without blowing a hole in the shell?

RSM2008

Re: Can't identify.. not sure what to do??

Here is another pic closer up. Not sure if I should say bi bi to snail and attach LPS somewhere for feeding and light. Never knows where he'll wake up on th back of that astrea snail. ??!!

RSM2008

Re: Can anyone ID this???

LPScu1.jpg

RSM2008

Re: LPS id??

Ha ha ha. That's good. Do you think it might be a type of ellegance? I have not seen anything like it in the shops. It takes frozen mysis and brine shrimp like mad. And stings the xenias as he passes.

jjohnson3

It does kindof look like an elegance coral. Is it hard? It also looks like an anemone! Could it be a nonbranching torch coral? The tentacles look like that of a torch's. Nice freebie! Come to think of it, my LFS has a huge hermit crab with something growing on its back...I might go get it just to watch it grow!!! :)

RSM2008

Re: LPS or anemone???

I am pretty sure it is an LPS.

Here's why... I tried to remove it with my finger nail, thinking it had a foot but NO - it has a hard base with is now firmly part of the snail's shell. I has at least 3 - 4 mouths and is growing in waves like an elegance. I don't know torch corals but will look them us. Thanks for your thoughts.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think you might have to sacrifice that snail. Unfortunate, but it'll soon be weighed down too much to move anyway, and the coral is worth saving & mounting somewhere else.