low ph

reefermagic

I have a rsm 250 and ever since I started it I've had a low ph of 7.90. Calcium is at 420, alk is at 9.8 dkH. When I add b-ionic 2-part, it will raise to around 8.2 to 8.25 and then slowly starts going back down, by morning it will go down to 7.9 and only raise to 8.15 or so during the day. I use red sea coral salt, b-ionic 2 part and some aquavitro balance, but its always the same result. The tank is only 3 weeks old but I've never had this problem, any input would be nice. Thanks

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Do you run a refugium? Opposite lighting schedules help hold ph higher as ph drops when lights go out. Also dripping kalk will keep it up. Fresh air helps too..... Co2 pulls ph down.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
there is nothing wrong with your ph levels. whats the worry? 7.8 to 8.3 is fine, in a 3 week old tank there is so much chemistry going on don't even consider it, give it a little time to level out

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

a good :read: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/6/chemistry

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

small extract...

What is the Acceptable pH Range for Reef Aquaria?

The acceptable pH range for reef aquaria is an opinion rather than a clearly defined fact, and will certainly vary based on who is providing the opinion. This range may also be quite different from the "optimal" range. Justifying what is optimal, however, is much more problematic than that which is simply acceptable. As a goal, I'd suggest that the pH of natural seawater, about 8.2, is appropriate, but reef aquaria can clearly operate in a wider range of pH values. In my opinion, the pH range from 7.8 to 8.5 is an acceptable range for reef aquaria, with several caveats. These are:

That the alkalinity is at least 2.5 meq/L, and preferably higher at the lower end of this pH range. This statement is based partly on the fact that many reef aquaria operate quite effectively in the pH 7.8 to 8.0 range, but that most of the best examples of these types of tanks incorporate calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors that, while tending to lower the pH, keep the carbonate alkalinity fairly high (at or above 3 meq/L.). In this case, any problems associated with calcification at these lower pH values may be offset by the higher alkalinity. Low pH primarily stresses calcifying organisms by making it harder for them to obtain sufficient carbonate to deposit skeletons. Raising the alkalinity mitigates this difficulty for reasons that are detailed later in this article.

That the calcium level is at least 400 ppm. Calcification becomes more difficult as the pH is lowered, and it also becomes more difficult as the calcium level is lowered. It would not be desirable to push all of the extremes of pH, alkalinity, and calcium at the same time. So if the pH is on the low side and cannot be easily changed (such as in an aquarium with a CaCO3/CO2 reactor), at least make sure that the calcium level is acceptable (~400-450 ppm). Likewise, one of the problems at higher pH (above 8.2, but getting progressively more problematic with each incremental rise) is the abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, resulting in a drop in calcium and alkalinity, and the clogging of heaters and pump impellers. If the aquarium pH is 8.4 or higher (as often happens in a tank using limewater), then it is especially important that both the calcium and alkalinity levels are suitably maintained (that is, neither too low, inhibiting biological calcification, nor too high, causing excessive abiotic precipitation on equipment).

gimmito

A simple solution may be to point a powerhead to break the surface of the water to get more gas exchange.

reefermagic

Thanks but all that has been done, I'll just let it go and see what happens. I know it's not too low, would just like it to be a little higher

jpsika08

Check your Alkalinity levels, when it's too low the pH will tend to move up or down depending on the hour of the day.
Also, check out your Magnesium, if it's low also, Alkalinity and Calcium will no sustain and tend to drop low also very quickly.