low PH problem

snowboss

I am having a problem with low ph (7.8) and alkalinity (4.5). Water movement on the surface is good and ammonia 0 nitrite o nitrates less than 1. I have a 55 gal. tank with live rock and base rock.1 fire shrimp, 2 clownfish,1blue green chromis,1clown goby,1purple firefish and 1 flame angel.I have had my tank running for a year.Any ideas?

sirrealism

+1^ 4.5 alk Now thats a big problem. You should be around 8 and you will find that as you bring up your alk your ph will come up but other then that do not worrie about your PH. If your Alk Cal and Mag are in line PH is really not a concern

snowboss

Thanks for your replies. I am having problems with my dsl so I couldn't get back to you in a timely fashion.I took a water sample to my lfs. PH tested 8 and alk. 10. Time to get a new test kit. I have a seachem multi test kit now . I could use your recommendations on an accurate multi test kit . thank very much for your help!!

snowboss

I have been thinking about Salifert or Redsea what do you think?I thought about Redsea because of multipal tests in 1 kit.

sirrealism

Its an Ok test but the other I mentioned are better. They may cost more but in the long run you will be better off. I have read several people having issues with that kit. Others have been just fine. You will not see someone complain about salifert or Hanna. This to me is just one place you dont skimp on but thats just me

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi schlegelli46,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance: