Looking for "Polished" water

Spikewire

Hey folks! I mentioned this in another thread but I figured I'd start a new one. Since I reinstalled my MP10 I've had more debris floating around my tank. The MP10 is on lagoon mode and half power but I still can't seem to filter the debris out of the tank. I have the MP10 placed on the right side about halfway down the glass.

Do you think it is interfering with the return and not filtering out the debris? Water flow is good to the back but it's still not catching all the things floating around the tank.

Any tips on this or tips in general for really clear water? It's not cloudy or discolored it's just got some junk floating around that won't filter out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm a little bothered by the small "sand storm" I have going on! :)

I am using a filter floss to clean my water in the back of my sump. I have two pieces, one on top of my Purigen, and one in the holder just prior to entering the left chamber. This seems to work pretty well. I need to clean them at least once a week.

Hope this helps.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Chris sometimes "junk" gets suspended and it just takes time for it to get filtered out. On the flip side it's entirely possible that with your MP10 on the RH side of the tank it's pushing some stuff away from the overflow which would make it take longer to filter it out. This topic has come up a few times recently on some other forums and from my own personal experience (take it for what you paid for it LOL) I never put a powerhead to where it actively competes with my overflow. Actually I try to have it pointed to where it is somewhat pointing in a similar direction. I have my MP10 on the left glass right in the middle.

In my NC12 I had a powerhead on the same side as the overflow and it just seemed like it never got the tank fully cleaned. I moved it directly under the return pump outlet and it made a world of difference. That was ~4/5 years ago and it's worked just like that every since the change with no problems.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I used the "transport mode" on my MP10 and debris seemed to go into the overflow better. But different directions of the returns on different tanks will have a major affect on it, I'm sure. Use lots of blue/white filter pads & try to change modes to see want seems to carry it out best. I'd think keeping it stirred up to reduce it all you can would be the way to go before you get more corals.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Chris - if it's not already... try aiming your right side side pump nozzle up (130/130D) up and to the right to cause a slight surface ripple & run a square of the fine white/blue filter right under the gate and rinse it even a few times a day at the sink, under tap water & shake dry & replace.

Hope this helps...

one more note... do you happen to have very fine sand? this could also be related... if so, you could consider replacing with something like this... 1.25–1.95 mm diameter grain size

CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

Spikewire

Hey thanks for the help everyone. Harvey - I don't have a sump :( but I run the white blue filter pads that I buy from StevieT. Al - I'm moving the mp10 to the left side tonight :) Diana - I'm going to mess around with different modes over the weekend and see how it goes. Glenn - Yeah I've always had the right nozzle pointed up and to the right for oxygenation purposes. The sand isn't really fine. I believe when I started the tank I used hals of what Redsea supplied and half live sand.

slakker

I have a inTank media rack and once I installed the MP10, it kicked up and suspended a lot of debris... I put floss on the media rack and after a few hours, it clogged and dropped the water level in the back... my ATO started pumping water in and almost flooded my tank!

I unplugged the ATO, cleaned the floss and did the floss thing another 3 times and the water is pretty clear now...

tangers

+1 for putting the mp10 on the left. Put it two thirds of the way to the front of the tank and the water will circulate around the tank. This seems to work pretty well for me.

Spikewire

Yep. Moved the mp10 last night. No lights this morning but it still looks like the tank has really cleared up.

subaqua

Yep. Moved the mp10 last night. No lights this morning but it still looks like the tank has really cleared up.

Spikewire, I have exactly the same problem. I have a lot of debris floating around. Today I put new Blue/White filter and Pure-Flo Micron Filter Pads.
I have also MP10 and after reading all these comments above, I will move the location of it..Please let me know if this works for you.

I have also noticed derbis at the sumps, under the return pumps, skimmer and t-media rack..
Do you guys clean these areas too???

Spikewire

I have noticed a huge difference since moving it to the left hand side. A bigger difference following the advice from tangers and putting it a little higher than halfwar and closer to the front of the tank. Thanks everyone your help is fantastic.

I still have some debris that settled on the top of my return pumps in the back. I'm going to blow that off tomorrow to get as much out as I can.

subaqua

I have noticed a huge difference since moving it to the left hand side. A bigger difference following the advice from tangers and putting it a little higher than halfwar and closer to the front of the tank. Thanks everyone your help is fantastic.

I still have some debris that settled on the top of my return pumps in the back. I'm going to blow that off tomorrow to get as much out as I can.

Spikewire- glad to hear that. When you have a chance please take a picture of the tank where mp10 is located..Thanks..Mustafa..

ksicard

run the pump in NTM (nutrient transport mode) for 1-3 days. Will take care of your problem as that mode is designed to knock debris into the air and then go into a second phase where it pushed debris to the overflow.