looking for free of cheap fish tank setup

cata

ok so i was wonder if any one had some ideas of what i should put in my reef tank after its setup ?

Ello!

Just thought I'd add some stuff, not sure if it'll help or not xD

So you want to set up a saltwater tank? noice! If I was you I'd start with a FOWLR system, then after it gets established you can try some corals. I am more or less new at SW fish keeping, had plenty of failures so I'd hope to help you not make the same ones xD. It CAN be an expensive hobby, I have basically a 0 dollar budget most of the time. Making alot of things yourself can really save money, but at the same time it's good to not skimp on things that matter. Water pumps, heaters, lights, and skimmers are all things that should be decent at the start, remember things can be upgraded later :).

I skimmed over other people's posts and didn't see a ton about filters (Could have just been too lazy to read deeper...) Anyway, I'd recommend you think about making your own sump type of filter. Research them on Google, they are really pretty neat. Not a necessity at the beginning but it's definitely good to think about. (for a 20g tank you could probably easily do a 10g sump system)

One thing that saved me is the fact my LFS has a "used" equipment section, I bought everything but the heater and main water pump from there. Lights, skimmer, recirc. pump, and even an auto top off system! All at a fraction of the retail price. :) Check it out if they have one!

BIGGEST MISTAKES I MADE:
1) not using pure water. I'm paying for it now with lots of algae and nutrient problems.
2) rushing and buying a lot of stuff fast. the LFS by me had a sale and I spent 200 bucks on fish (thought it was a good deal) Anyway, a massive ick outbreak killed them all shortly after. Really really depressing learning experience. Which brings me to #3...
3) not quarantining new fish. As stated above, lost a massive amount of money not taking it slow and thinking smart. Even if the fish looks fine, it may be carrying a parasite or something.
4) starting a SW hobby while living at home. I'm only 17, but I've loved fish since I was real little. Started with a betta, graduated to a 75G (soon to be) reef. My parents yell at me ALL the TIME for normal things such as mixing new saltwater for a water change or messing around with plumbing and the equipment, and especially spending money on the fish (even more so after the ick incident)

This fish tank is more than just a box of water and fish to me, it's a responsibility to keep the fish happy and healthy. I learn a lot just sitting there watching the fish and inverts. I'm definitely no expert, but I think I'm doing pretty well now.

So, I hope that helps somehow. :D
(probably just bored you death... :zzz: )

Edit: Also, no matter how much you research, you still need to know more. Learned that personally hundreds of times. :D Always try to learn something new! Knowledge in this hobby is the biggest investment.

DaveK

ok so i was wonder if any one had some ideas of what i should put in my reef tank after its setup ?

This is something to plan for before you get involved spending a lot of money on the system.

Your talking about a modest size tank, so obviously your not going to be able to keep very many fish. Here is what I recommend.

For a smaller tank, choose fish that are small, and choose each one so it's a gem. A good example might be clown gobies. Clowns are ever popular. A royal gramma is just about the perfect reef fish. Geometric pixie hawks are a favorite of mine. The fire gobies are also good choices.

I noticed in another post that your 16. Don't feel bad about that. I was only 15 when I set up my first SW tank. However that was a lot of years ago. I'm vain and I don't want to define exactly how long ago that was, but it was before reef system were know. The equipment used then was more or less carried over from the FW hobby. Looking back, this is a mistake, but we didn't know any better. The cost of the equipment wasn't that bad then because of that, but the down side was that you were an "expert" if you could keep a damsel alive for six months. Nowadays, we can set up fantastic systems and keep things that were considered impossible back then. The downside is that the necessary equipment is generally considered much greater. This is where you can kind of get stuck.

One final point. As you can see reef systems are complex systems, even if your using a natural or simple approach. Most of the people here devote a lot of time and effort to learning about the hobby and caring for their reef.

You'll be wrapping up high school in a few years or so. Most likely you'll be going on to college or some other post secondary school. Think very carefully about what you may need to do with the aquarium projects at that time. It may not be possible to do both, and the education is far more important. You may have to have someone else take over the tank or take it down for awhile.

Reef Wall

Starting your first saltwater tank. Oh, I remember a year ago I started mine. Now I'm broke, addicted to the hobby, and still feel sometimes that I don't have a clue what I'm doing. You can link to my first aquarium below, may answer some questions. Take your time. and WATER CHANGES!

If money is an issue I would stay away from corals in the beginning. The light fixtures required for corals can really put a hurt on the wallet. You will skimp, loose your livestock, and only be left broken hearted.

Good luck, look forward to seeing some pics when you get there.

cata

well seems im back at sqaure one with my tank can any one help i have no eqiupment tp speack of besides a 29 gal long bare boe tank ?

cioutlaw

Anyone have a Ferrari? I want one really bad but dont have enough money. Free would be really good.

I know a lot of you people are being really nice but what is wrong with this kid getting a job and saving the money to buy his own? I worked my tail off at a younger age than 16 and had a salt tank without anyones help.

Cata,
My advise is to pay a little more attention in English class and just maybe you can get a job to afford what you like someday. Stop being a lazy mooch and get a job like everyone else.

SecretAgent

I was wondering when someone was going to come along and say this. I agree, what the heck? I mean, to ask and ask and ask until the whole tank is set up with no effort other than asking for stuff for free?

Im wondering where this person will get the self discipline he needs to keep it going, providing it even gets going. Cant ask people for self discipline. Gotta do something yourself.

Man, I do have to say, kids got nerve to be coming on here and asking for someone to give him these things. Heck, if it works, Im in need of some cool and expensive corals.....man up someone!

lol

SecretAgent

Oh, and Eric, in all his kindness, was trying to get this kid to see that it wasnt just about throwing water into a tank and calling yourself an expert and was trying to give him knowledge that he would understand and could handle, but it got thrown back in his face.....So be very aware of who you call friend or who you try to do something for. I dont think I appreciate a stranger coming in and throwing sound advice back into the face of a well respected member especially when all he was trying to do is help him, yes, this very person, the one asking this forums members for free stuff. I wouldnt give him the scum that came out of my skimmer after the way he treated Eric.

Shame on you, taker (cata)

I hate to be random but I'm only 17 and I've basically paid for everything myself, I've kept up with my tank by myself. Point being, it IS possible for a teenager to do it, but at the same time not all teenagers can be responsible enough to keep the fish/corals/etc alive.

I think it's GREAT to help out a fellow aquarist (sp?). However, it's not really cool to ask/beg for things, I would love to ask someone for a free MH lighting system, but I know they cost (quite a bit of) money. If I want something I'll work to get it, and if someone OFFERS me something free, I'll thank them a million times over. (By the way, thanks again Eric. xD)

Hmmm... Time to play some minesweeper.:dryer:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Thanks for the support guys but I've got no beef with cata but he is on his own with this project. Unless someone else jumps in to help that is.

thearnley

Anyone have a Ferrari? I want one really bad but dont have enough money. Free would be really good.

I know a lot of you people are being really nice but what is wrong with this kid getting a job and saving the money to buy his own? I worked my tail off at a younger age than 16 and had a salt tank without anyones help.

Cata,
My advise is to pay a little more attention in English class and just maybe you can get a job to afford what you like someday. Stop being a lazy mooch and get a job like everyone else.

+1

cata

Oh, and Eric, in all his kindness, was trying to get this kid to see that it wasnt just about throwing water into a tank and calling yourself an expert and was trying to give him knowledge that he would understand and could handle, but it got thrown back in his face.....So be very aware of who you call friend or who you try to do something for. I dont think I appreciate a stranger coming in and throwing sound advice back into the face of a well respected member especially when all he was trying to do is help him, yes, this very person, the one asking this forums members for free stuff. I wouldnt give him the scum that came out of my skimmer after the way he treated Eric.

Shame on you, taker (cata)
you know what iwasnt even given a real chance after what happend with eric cause eric told me n strat off and i under stode ok so whatever bash me like a teniss ball :tennis: till my head pops :explode: or calm the heck down and look around ive been given nothing taken nothing and only recieved advice as ive willingly enjoyed lisening to but that elsa do you guys want money well guest what some people cant get a job even as an adoul im only 16 how can i compet with people with phd's and stuff like that ..... hummm well and then theres thhe fact that i cant even get to work cause my dads truck engien blow up and tuff like that so a i dont even own a bike . so what am i going to do i live in the fricken country so o moweing grass lolz and ya farmings over any suggestions smart ones i do have a alowences andim saveing for my first tank . and no i cant walk closes towns 7 miles away