looking for free of cheap fish tank setup

cata

Im looking for a free or cheap saltwater fish tank setup with or with out fish something around the size of a 20g-30g maybe can be smaller maybe be bigger we can talk out the details plz be around MI cause im 16 and my parents are really if about leave the state to get a fish tank . ty plz leave any thing i really dont got alot of money to offer so plz nothing to exspencvie but i really... want to start salt water fish keeping and went to all the lfs and there way out of my price range ty have a nice day . cata:read: :read:

GrendelPrime

u should check craigslist theres always realy good deals u can find right in ur area...and i understand about not having much money for the hobby but the #1 piece of advise i can give u is patients in the hobby is priceless and welcome to RS

cata

i have its insane they want like $500 for a 20 tank im raining on my own pariad i wise though

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!

That is some request you have there :) are you looking to get FO, fowlr, or Reef? I may be able to help you out with some odds and ends but my first and main concern would be, can you afford to maintain the tank?

This means test kits, salt, food, and all the odds and ends it takes to maintain a tank successfully.

Do you have the knowledge and know how to maintain the tank? I'm not asking this cause you are young there are plenty of young guys on the forum that know their stuff, just getting an idea of where your at.

I'm sure others would like to know the same before offering assistance, I know as well as anyone who expensive these tank are that's why I don't have a setup complete at the moment.

Again welcome to RS!

cata

i know about how to many tain salidity and do a salt water removele ever month ta 2 weeks half the water i mean and that 1 pound sand per gal of water and ya ya ya ive talk to my lfs keepers alot and reed a lot so im pretty well informed as for afforeding to keeping it up and runing and well feed and tested and so forth yes im as many say a well to do brat with a hole in the pocket my main consern is my fish tank though .beat_dead_horse

cata

o and im looking to start a reef i think there really cool i know there ye haredst to do but i really would like to have one but really and would be fine by me did be cool with a fowlr

cata

i think youve probly figuerd this out but i have problems with spelling the thig is im really hopeing to get a sw fish tank and have one of my own i was born in hawiaii and i lolz the colors and shapes of the fish and well where i live now there all dalle and bland to me so im really hopeing some one can help me get a tank im not asking for a bio cube although ited be nice but i know there like 400 dollars and people just dont have monay any more so ya if you dont beleive in my capability just say so and ill go and restursh more and look to save up my weekly alowance and by one of my own that way . id just really like one is all .

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Ok so you have the basics and we know your a brat :D good enough I suppose. lol

Let me know when you find a tank and the size and I may have some stuff to help you on your way. I have a 55 gallon here but not road tripping to MI sorry :)

Ok who else is helping out the brat?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Cool your jets, I didn't say anything about not believing you, there is a spell check button you can hit before submitting your post though.

Anyways the reason I asked was simply to see if you were serious and going to be in the hobby a while, I don't want to send stuff to someone that is going to be fed up in two weeks, when I could send it to someone that will be in the hobby and use it.

You can't expect to ask for something free and not be questioned, just doesn't work that way unless people already know you and your intentions.

There are plenty of members that will help you out but don't be surprised or offended if they question you a little.

cata

that nb i wouldnt now where to put a 55gal. tank and sides i have a 20 gal at my moms quick question i remeber asking a lfs keeper about the size of tank would be bast to keep (nothing over 35gals) he sayed what ever had the largest surfise area thats exsposed to air . what would you suggest.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would go for a 40 breeder which is an awesome size at 3ftx18"x18" give you some size in a small tank but other wise I would look for a 20 long or 30 long, not at much surface space but still functional.

cata

sorry sorry my pcs loads really slow... and i just remeber spell check and i hadenednt seen your post till just now im so sorry im not trying to come off as rude so sorry . just really trying to get in to this hobbie is all and i understand i just was worried when i saw the fun face after your post and my replie is all and though you though i was crazy is all. o and just tryed spell check my pc wont let it work . >.>

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would avoid tall tanks narrow tanks the 20 you have would probably work great.

cata

the 20 gal is a long and that what i have at my moms it has guniee pigs in it right now if i clean it with vinuger would it work ?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
As long as the silicone is not all messed up, I would bleach it and rinse throughly other than that it should be fine.

cata

ok i was told never to use cleaners was why i ask is all and ok if it is should i try haveing my dad fix it ? the silicone seal

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can use bleach just make sure to rinse really well, my cleaner of choice among other things i won't mention, as long as you are sure to rinse away every trace it will be fine.

As far as the silicone goes yes it can be fixed but the old silicone need to be removed completely from the corners but not the joints leave that in there, you can get large tubes of GE silicone I 100% pure silicone that is safe to use in the aquarium and also cheap.

new silicone will not bond with the old so make sure you have a clean surface when applying the new, tape of all corners so you get the bead width you want and apply to the tank, when your done go around and smooth it out pushing it into the corners then remove the tape and let it cure.

pretty simple process hard part is getting the old silicone out.

cata

i was just wondering what you where think i should set up for my first salt water tank as in fo,fowlr,reef ?