looking for free of cheap fish tank setup

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Might as well go reef, I have the 4x65w powercompacts i can hook you up with wich is about 13 wpg on a 20 long :) so you would be able to keep most anything, this is not the prefered lighting for reefs now adays but that doesn't mean it don't work.

If you go with that tank I can build you a basic canopy that will look nice and let the heat out for the lights, since it's a retro kit the lights are not in a fixture so you will need it.

cata

just so i know what is it you could send for a 20 gal. tank ( no not a scam artist here ) just asking i know its a rude but its the whole fact of i kinda need to know so as to get an idea of what i need to start saveing for ae if its really exspesive like a skimmer or some thing .

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I got you covered on the lights, the 4x65w pcs are quite a bit but would give you the option to cycle your lights, I am also a light junkie there is no such thing as to much :)

I can also set you up with 15lbs of base rock which is dry live rock, you would need to seed it to bring it back to life with a few pounds of live rock. so adding 5lbs of live would give you the recommended 1lb per gallon.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
you still need sand, skimmer, pumps. I would do a 4" sand bed and with the 20lbs of rock you will have what you need for natural filtration, then maybe run a hang on filter full of carbon and or phos remover "no filter pads", that coupled with some good flow and a good hang on back skimmer and your set for success

cata

and if im right i need atleast a 50-60gal filter paferably bio wheel or bag which i can get if i cant get a skimmer and how do i get a water current agien a power head and what size ?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
No bio wheels or hang on filters let the live rock, sand, and skimmer do the filtering. if you use a hang on filter use it as a chemical media filter only.

As for flow the korella 2 powerheads are a good choice.

cata

thanks thats really cool i really dont want to be a bother for you though i know shiping 15 pounds of dry live rock wont be cheap and what ever elsa as well.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
canisters and hang on filters are no good unless you change the pads every other day so it's not a good option vs natural filtration.

cata

ok as for coral what would you say would be good for a starter ?
and i can still do fish and inverts right if i remeber i have to have invers cant remeber off top of my head .

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
In a 20L 1-2 fish tops and of course the hermits,snails, and other creatures.

You need to get setup first and if you want a successful tank you will need to be patient and let the tank cycle properly and mature, if you rush putting fish corals and other livestock into the tank you will simply overload the biological and the tank will crash. The key is patients and double checking everything you are told from LFS then draw your own conclusions. A lot of LFS don't have knowledgeable employees even though they all have a good spiel so always double check your facts.

Even what I tell you is subject to question :D Thats why these forums are so great.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I need the outside dimensions of the tanks so I can design and build the hood, I won't start it till you let me know for sure that tank is usable and it the one you are going with.

cata

till i get to my moms or call my brother who lives with my mom i can give them to you
sorry i cant try going over tonight

DaveK

I can see that your new to the hobby, and real anxious to get everything going. Here is my advice to new people in the hobby, presented again, by popular demand.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

Additional thoughts.

Saltwater systems, no mater what you do are going to be expensive. It is true that you can save a lot getting used equipment and bargain livestock, but many things are needed and they can cost a lot.

For buying new equipment you can figure spending about $35 to $50 per gallon of water in the main tank by the time it's all set up. So that 20 gal tank would cost between $700 and $1000 by the time your done. Using used equipment can lover this quite a bit, but it's still a lot.

Please make sure you can afford the hobby, not only the initial investment, but the ongoing costs, like salt, light bulbs, filter media, replacement parts and so on.