Looking for a 400gal tank. Also looking for steel stand and custom sump!

I live in LA, CA, I am moving and looking to upgrade to a 400gal tank. Prefer 96"x30"x36. Would like to know where should I buy the tank at? Both good quality and cheap. Wondering where I can get a custom build steel stand that can support this tank. Also looking for a big sump. Wondering where to buy? Thanks!!!

Reddog170

I would suggest a custom glass company for the tank, there are a number that will build it to your specs. As for a stand I would head to a welding shop, not sure about LA but around here they are everywhere and reasonably priced. Now on to your sump. Have you considered a Rubbermaid tub? They do work well and have a design that works well for putting in shelves for frags and equipment. Shaun

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I live in LA, CA, I am moving and looking to upgrade to a 400gal tank. Prefer 96"x30"x36. Would like to know where should I buy the tank at? Both good quality and cheap. Wondering where I can get a custom build steel stand that can support this tank. Also looking for a big sump. Wondering where to buy? Thanks!!!

U ever see the tv show tanked? Check them out.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

steved13

PREMIUM
That will be a difficult tank to reach into. I have a 250 DD which is 36" front to rear and 27" tall and I wish it were 24" tall or maybe even 22" as it's very difficult to reach in and do maint. mounting corals, aquascaping, etc.

Just an FYI, I wish I had known ahead of time I would have had it custom made differently. I love my tank but just a lot of extra work sometimes, for that little bit of heighth, that I really don't need.

jpsika08

I would invert the depth and height dimensions to have the tank as 96" x 36" x 30", I got a 28" tall tank and it's sometimes a pain reaching the sand.
Also, the tank you mention above is 450 gals not 400.

My tank has 400g and it's 96" x 34" x 28" with the added external overflow I reach the 400g.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I would invert the depth and height dimensions to have the tank as 96" x 36" x 30", I got a 28" tall tank and it's sometimes a pain reaching the sand.
Also, the tank you mention above is 450 gals not 400.

My tank has 400g and it's 96" x 34" x 28" with the added external overflow I reach the 400g.

Too true. Mine at 30" tall requires a chair n damn near a snorkel mask.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I doubt you'll find a quality tank "cheap". Honestly you probably wouldn't want a CHEAP tank of that size. 400g is a LOT of pressure and shorts cuts will equal mops & buckets.

For the tank I'd try Quality Custom Aquarium Manufacturer - Toronto Canada

and for the stand find a local welder, inspect some of his work and give him some ideas what you want. You may want to get with Juan and get some ideas from him on Steel Stand design http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...monster-2000l-wall-system-247.html#post991651

Re: Sump - Go to your local Farmers Co-Op and pick up one of their 100g Live Stock watering bins by Rubbermaid. Easy to work with and usually priced just right.

ViperDoug

The guys on the show 'Tanked' are out of LA I believe and they build custom tanks. Definitely don't go cheap as I read the thread from that other guy who's tank leaked and he had to start all over.

reggie

If your going to spend the money on stocking the tank plus all of the additional items necessary to have a 400 gallon tank the one area you cannot skimp on is the tank. It is just like the foundation of a house; the house is only as good as its foundation.

Dave at Vivid has done custom tanks like this and has plenty of experience giving you the ways to plan for a super tank.