lookey what i just found

anewguy

I was just doing my nightly flashlight inspection, and found this little guy out in the open trying to steal a cerith. I knew I had one of these but the one I last saw was half this guys size. So that means I'm back to one- maybe. I'm also on the lookout for what I'm pretty shure was a pistol shrimp that i saw a couple weeks back.
gorillacrab.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Is that a Fuzzy Chiton, if so congrats - cool

508c2d93806501ef217199adbd8921aa.jpg

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Fuzzy Chiton*

The Fuzzy Chiton begins eating at twilight and will consume algae throughout the night into the early dawn, and will spend most of its time on the rocks and glass in your aquarium. The Fuzzy Chiton is known to stay in one spot until all the algae in the spot is removed.

The Fuzzy Chiton gets its name from the moss like algae that is usually growing on its back. This serves as camouflage for the Chiton, who will live in these patches and "farm" the area, moving in circles to keep a steady rotation of algae. Fuzzy Chitons do not eat the camo off of other Fuzzy Chitons. The algae is unlikely to spread in your tank, but you can remove it from the chiton's back if you would like. Blue leg crabs and many of the snails we sell will remove the algae from the back of the Chiton even if you wanted to keep it.

In the aquarium, it will seek out food more often than in nature, since it is unlikely to be able to successfully farm an area, especially in a tank with our other reef cleaning critters.

Fuzzy Chitons are strong. When they attach to something they can sometimes be hard to remove. You must be careful when trying to move them, as it is possible to harm the Chiton if you are too rough. For best results, splash the Chiton with water they are acclimated too, and then nudge them with a credit card, (anything similarly shaped would also work), by pushing lightly against them while holding the credit card perpendicular to the surface the Chiton is attached too. Remember, you are not trying to use the card as a spatula, you are nudging their side, hoping to move them sideways. In any case, try not to move them if you can.

Chitons have difficulty righting themselves. It is unlikely they will get flipped once they get used to the aquarium, but you should stick them to something when you introduce them to their new home. To do this, place the Chtion up against the glass of your tank or similar surface, and apply light pressure to their back until they stick.

Even though Chitons are easily cared for and long lived, (some species live up to 20 years in the wild), they prefer water with no ammonia, no nitrites, and low levels of nitrate. They range from 1''-3''. Most of the fuzzy Chitons we send are between one and two inches. We prefer to send the smaller Chitons because they have higher survivability in shipping than larger ones.

redneckgearhead

Is that a Fuzzy Chiton, if so congrats - cool

508c2d93806501ef217199adbd8921aa.jpg

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Fuzzy Chiton*

The Fuzzy Chiton begins eating at twilight and will consume algae throughout the night into the early dawn, and will spend most of its time on the rocks and glass in your aquarium. The Fuzzy Chiton is known to stay in one spot until all the algae in the spot is removed.

The Fuzzy Chiton gets its name from the moss like algae that is usually growing on its back. This serves as camouflage for the Chiton, who will live in these patches and "farm" the area, moving in circles to keep a steady rotation of algae. Fuzzy Chitons do not eat the camo off of other Fuzzy Chitons. The algae is unlikely to spread in your tank, but you can remove it from the chiton's back if you would like. Blue leg crabs and many of the snails we sell will remove the algae from the back of the Chiton even if you wanted to keep it.

In the aquarium, it will seek out food more often than in nature, since it is unlikely to be able to successfully farm an area, especially in a tank with our other reef cleaning critters.

Fuzzy Chitons are strong. When they attach to something they can sometimes be hard to remove. You must be careful when trying to move them, as it is possible to harm the Chiton if you are too rough. For best results, splash the Chiton with water they are acclimated too, and then nudge them with a credit card, (anything similarly shaped would also work), by pushing lightly against them while holding the credit card perpendicular to the surface the Chiton is attached too. Remember, you are not trying to use the card as a spatula, you are nudging their side, hoping to move them sideways. In any case, try not to move them if you can.

Chitons have difficulty righting themselves. It is unlikely they will get flipped once they get used to the aquarium, but you should stick them to something when you introduce them to their new home. To do this, place the Chtion up against the glass of your tank or similar surface, and apply light pressure to their back until they stick.

Even though Chitons are easily cared for and long lived, (some species live up to 20 years in the wild), they prefer water with no ammonia, no nitrites, and low levels of nitrate. They range from 1''-3''. Most of the fuzzy Chitons we send are between one and two inches. We prefer to send the smaller Chitons because they have higher survivability in shipping than larger ones.

Looks like a crab.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Now I see it ... it's a hairy crab..., I think... when I 1st looked at the pic, my mind saw... Fuzzy Chiton LOL

Well congrats on getting him out then !

Hope everyone enjoy the Fuzzy Chiton information...:updown:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My first guess was an algae covered Fuzzy Chiton too, but then I saw the crab outline. Plus going after snails isn't what chitons do. I added a couple Fuzzies a long time ago and never saw them again.