livestock limited due to lighting on 130d?

reeferman

i own a rsm250 with stock lights,i can keep anything in there[even acros and maxima clams]with no problems at all.everything grows pretty fast.my question is,i'm getting a rsm130d next week as someone is upgrading to 250.are the stock lights on the 130 strong enough or will i be limited on my livestock choices?figured no one would know better than 130 owners!please chime in your experiences

bhazard

I tried to grow acro frags with the stock lighting, and they basically turned brown. I changed over to MH and within 2 weeks they regained their original color.

Unless you change to Metal Halide (or LED), you will be limited, or growth and color will suffer greatly

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The 130 stock is usually pretty limited to SPS with lower light needs - such as Seriatopora and Montipora and possibly a few others. As bhazard said many of the acros tend to lose color, turn brown, and just don't grow as quickly as they do under better lighting. Bulbs need to be replaced about every 6 months if trying to keep acros and other SPS under the stock T5/PC bulbs.

From Red Sea on the 130 & 250 lights:

"In long-term tests we conducted on the MAX 130 & 130Din our laboratory, the system proved capable of supporting all soft corals (Sarcophyton sp., Lobophytum sp., Sinularia sp., Xenia; Cladiella sp., etc.), all LPSs (Large Polyp Scleractinia, like Euphyllia sp., Plerogyra sp., Nemenzophyllia sp., Trachphyllia sp., Caulestra sp., etc.), some SPSs (Small Polyp Scleractinia, such as Stylophora sp. and Seriatopora), sea anemones, all types of crustacean (cleaner shrimps, peppermint shrimps, hermit crabs, scarlet hermit crabs), sea stars and giant clams (Tridacna sp.).

The Max 250 has been designed specifically to be capable of supporting even the most delicate SPS corals, and offers no limitations other than the physical size of the aquarium."

I tried a pink stylophora under the 130 stock lights once - up on top. A small frag stayed pink but never grew, a larger pink colony browned out and never grew.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
are the stock lights on the 130 strong enough or will i be limited on my livestock choices

Lots & lots of the most colorful pretty coral (imo) come in the soft corals & lps.

If I had to rank them the sps (someone described once as colored twigs), are my least favorite ones. But then beauty in the eyes of the beholder...

I love rics, open brains, lots of the wavie/flowie ones, many lps corals are my favorite ones.

reeferman

im thinking it will be fine for what i intend to keep lps[chalice,acans]just wondering if a frag or two of acro would be happy until it could find a home in my 250.im setting it up basically to keep corals that come in or out of my main tank.thanks for everyones input

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have a blue & red chalice in my stock 130D & both are thriving. Have seen lots of acans that do great too, I have one, seems to be growing slow, but he been in the tank for 6 months now and still happy.

I have a birdsnest sps that is doing ok, have seen several of them that seem to do fine up high in 130's.

redsea reefer

I also have a Birdsnest that has good growth and color halfway up the tank. I also have a Red Milli and Blue Prostrata with good color but growth is ok.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If I had to rank them the sps (someone described once as colored twigs), are my least favorite ones. But then beauty in the eyes of the beholder... ........

I agree on a lot of SPS "sticks" not being very colorful, but there are exceptions that are as colorful as LPS (with the proper lighting).

Cap_Digi12_22_09.jpg

PinkBN12_22_09.jpg

Pocci12_22_09.jpg

Need I say more? :)

redsea reefer

At first, I was not into SPS but I like them now and some do have amazing color. If I were to upgrade to another tank. I would have SPS up top and LPS and Softies down low. You get the best of both worlds..

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Eddie has the answer - SPS on top, & LPS lower.

Glenn - I think that "if" is more likely a "when". :)

reeferman

I agree on a lot of SPS "sticks" not being very colorful, but there are exceptions that are as colorful as LPS (with the proper lighting).

Cap_Digi12_22_09.jpg

PinkBN12_22_09.jpg

Pocci12_22_09.jpg

Need I say more? :)
definitely!some of my most colorful corals are acros.pictures just dont do them justice.

reeferman

sweet pics!if thats what to expect i wont be dissapointed.imo/ime water quality has a LOT to do with sps success.