Live rock creatures

MichelleL

I have just been sitting watching my new tank and the live rock really is full of life. There are what can only be described as brine shrimp crawling all over it, but im totally lost at to what the other creatures are.
There seems to be a white almost slime/blob looking creature with tiny feelers coming from its head, it moved around on the surface sending out what looked like little puffs of smoke (yes i know they arent!!)
There is also something inside a crevice that is sending out fine stripped feelers.
I know i must sound silly and unknowledgable, but does anyone know what these creatures could be? and what else is likely to be living in my live rock. Its so fascinating to sit and watch, i would love to know what im watching!!!!!
Thanks in advance :)

lcstorc

Many amazing things can/will come out of good LR. I hesitate to guess on the blob thing without a picture but the fine striped feeders are quite possibly arms from micro brittle stars. They are very common in new tanks and in tanks that are overfed(mine). Try to get some pictures of the critters you see and we can try to help identify them. Most will be either helpful or at least harmless but you may end up with some bad guys and you will want to know so you can get rid of them. Check out the hitchiker id forum. There are hundreds(or more) hitchikers identified there.

KARussell88

The smokey guy could be a sea slug of some sort. But like everyone else has said pictures would be for the best if you want some real help! lol

MichelleL

seems i have 3 micro brittle stars so far. Still trying to identify the blob, which has now taken to a hole somewhere!!!!

MichelleL

Well the blob is back out now, it seems to have a hardish flat shell like armour on its back and seems to move like a slug. I have tried to get a pic but its too small. Any ideas?

MichelleL

Well it would seem i have a minimum of 4 micro brittle stars, 2 or more Stomatellas, untold shrimp things and something hiding in a hole i have absolutely no idea what!!! I have sat mesmerised for the last hr watching my rock come to life. I have been ignoring the worm, crabs and snails and just watching the rock lol Think i may invest in some more mature rock :)

MichelleL

I have another question. My rock has little tubes up to a cm in length all over it, while i was watching the rock i noticed a piece of sand being dragged towards one of the tubes. Can you please tell me what they could be?
Also how do i add a picture?

catran

Awesome creatures! I have lots of stomatella's they come in different colors too. You must spend a good amount of time watching your reef tank....it took me a couple of months to see the first one. He was the same color as my rock and I thought I was staring at my tank too long when I saw him move, lol. It's a good idea to always i.d. your creatures though, I have had a couple of bad hitchhikers. Glad to see you really enjoy your tank. It definately makes all the work worthwhile!

MichelleL

I am very much enjoying it, and yes maybe i do spend a little too much time watching it but its very theraputic. I have no fish at the moment but to be honest i like inverts more, although my children would disagree!!! i was amazed to spot a second smaller stomatella last night, and a 4th brittle star. I am now going to invest in another piece of live rock i think :)

catran

Oh, no, you can never spend too much time! That's the addiction! And, wait, you'll find more and more!