Limestone In reef tank?

Varga

wondering if it is safe to mix about 70 pounds of limestone with about 40 pounds of live rock?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't know how that would work.. wouldn't that change the PH drastically in a reef tank? Maybe I'm thinking of something else but that's the FIRST thing that popped into my mind.

kyle1284

i do believe limestone = leaching.... not sure but thats what i would figure would happen

Limestone often contains variable amounts of silica in the form of chert or flint, as well as varying amounts of clay, silt and sand as disseminations, nodules, or layers within the rock. The primary source of the calcite in limestone is most commonly marine organisms. These organisms secrete shells that settle out of the water column and are deposited on ocean floors as pelagic ooze or alternatively is conglomerated in a coral reef (see lysocline for information on calcite dissolution). Secondary calcite may also be deposited by supersaturated meteoric waters (groundwater that precipitates the material in caves). This produces speleothems such as stalagmites and stalactites. Another form taken by calcite is that of oolites (oolitic limestone) which can be recognized by its granular appearance. Limestone makes up about 10% of the total volume of all sedimentary rocks
all from wikipedia

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thats a good piece of info Kyle, but look what I found about limestone and reefs, im sure that quote is right about our aquariums, but here in FL artificial reef heaven...

Limestone Reefs in FL

cracker

wondering if it is safe to mix about 70 pounds of limestone with about 40 pounds of live rock?
Tell us more about the limestone I have some experience with lime rock some good some bad. Where is it coming from & a pic would be a big help.
I agree with Kyle it could be loaded with phosphates & such.

SubRosa

How many people here have Aragonite in their tanks?Aragonite is limestone.It also happens to be the type most likely to "leach".Leach calcium carbonate that is.Unless the pH goes REALLY low,other forms of limestone are basically inert in seawater.The biggest problem is knowing what contaminants are present in the limestone.Phosphates and heavy metals are the ones to watch out for.

tippMANn98

every body that has bought "live aragonite" sand then has a limestone sand.....correct? I know mine is aragonite....

tippMANn98

thats right, because sand and crushed coral both slowly dissolve which stabilizes ph/ kH, its a calcium carbonate right?

SubRosa

Wonderloss with all due respect you are mistaken.Calcite is a form of limestone.So is aragonite.So is dolomite.But because of differences in the crystalline structure(think about coal, graphite, and diamonds which are all pure carbon with different structures) these minerals all behave differently in our tanks.Calcite is essentially insoluble in seawater,dolomite is more soluble, and aragonite is the most soluble.By solubility I am referring to the pH value at which dissolution occurs.The more soluble forms begin dissolving at a higher pH value.I am no geologist but this much I know.

Varga

so limestone is ok or not? i mixed 70 pounds of it with 35 pounds of live rock in a 100 gallon tank. the one rock i put in the fuge has turned totally green is 2 days! the rocks in the main tank are still white.

SubRosa

Generally limestone is safe.It can contain contaminants such as heavy metals, but depending on what form of limestone you used they MAY be insoluble in seawater.You can't know without an indepth analysis of the rock.

Varga

i have had limestone in the tank for almost a month now and whats exposed to the light has turned a dark deep green and as of last week, there is tiny purple spots, i put some cured live rock in at the same time and they are growing just as fact as the limestone

Cougra

Why do you want to use so much limestone rather then live rock? The main problem I see with using limestone is that it is more dense then live rock and you wont get benefits of the filtration that live rock can provide for you. The outside may appear the same over time, but it wont be the same in terms of filtration.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Why do you want to use so much limestone rather then live rock? The main problem I see with using limestone is that it is more dense then live rock and you wont get benefits of the filtration that live rock can provide for you. The outside may appear the same over time, but it wont be the same in terms of filtration.
Ditto.
Limestone is great for freshwater systems though. I have seen some cool aqua scaping in African Cichlid tanks.

Hows that Limestone working out for ya? I have some that I THINK is limestone that I am curing now for my tank. I will post some pictures of it when I can. But it is FULL of holes and crazy caves, it really looks like it would make awesome life rock if it works out.

Varga

Hows that Limestone working out for ya? I have some that I THINK is limestone that I am curing now for my tank. I will post some pictures of it when I can. But it is FULL of holes and crazy caves, it really looks like it would make awesome life rock if it works out.

Still kinda white. limited coralline algae growth. I had much better luck with dead base rock from Ebay.