Lighting question.

MantisMan

i did read "Basics of Lighting for Reef Systems".

Even though i really want this fixture but am still unsure if its overkill
55 gal just starting
over 100 lbs LR 50 lbs LS 2-2.5" SB

Stocking plans will be SPS/LPS/fish (4-5 small fish uncertain yet as to what)

Rock is walled to the back with plenty of overhangs and caves.

2x 250W HQI
4x 54W T5 High Output
6x Dual LED

3" off top

Overkill or right on?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you're planning SPS etc then it's not overkill. That's a LOT of light but some coral.. you can't get ENOUGH light :)

You may want to also investigate an ATO for this system to help battle potential evaporation issues.

Fishwhiz

You may want to check with a par meter to be certain, but I would say too much light. If you're cracking out 300+ par, that's just too much for almost anything. I would use the t5HO or the LEDs. The other option is just the 2x MH, but you're looking at a serious energy bill and you may want to back those up off the tank with suspension.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
That's a lot of light and I'd say go for it but I'm not sure how you'd fit all of that over a 55 gal. On my 55 gal I've got a 6 bulb T5 fixture and that's all it will fit and I've got SPS doing fine under the lighting. My mushrooms actually have to be shaded because they cannot handle the direct light. I agree that more would be better though.

GlassMunky

Go for it. sounds spot on to me if you want SPS. I'm waiting to see what Eric says, hes "Mr. Overkill" on everything, especially light..... one of my favorite quotes was.... "If your neighbors dont truely believe the sun rises and sets in your living room, you dont have enough light"

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Go for it. sounds spot on to me if you want SPS. I'm waiting to see what Eric says, hes "Mr. Overkill" on everything, especially light..... one of my favorite quotes was.... "If your neighbors dont truely believe the sun rises and sets in your living room, you dont have enough light"

Your right where you need to be for the depth of a 55 gallon, also you don't need to run all the lights all the time corals don't need a 12 hour photo period really you can get away with 5-6 hours a day but a dark tank is no good for viewing, you can run the T5s 2-3 hours in the morning then kick the 250s on running all bulbs for 4-5 hours then drop the halides and let the T5s go 2-3 hours or till you want them off, this will give you a sunrise sunset effect which severs no real purpose other than letting you view the tank most of the day without burning all the bulbs.

MantisMan

TY for the advice!! You answered my question and also another one that was brewing up ... photo period ty!!

I may scale back to this
2x 250W Double Ended HQI
2x 54W T5 High Output
3x Dual Bluemoon LED

Not like that actually scaling back lol. Still a lot of light.

Fearing the flames.......its an odyssea fixture. And I wont be swapping out bulbs right away. But when i do itll be ATI bulbs.

If I were to get just the 2 t5 instead of the 4 with the halides what color bulbs wud look good and should I even scale back.

Scatter brained and tired............

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would save your money and by a decent fixture, seriously those things are garbage and you will likely end up having to buy a good fixture or spending the same money to replace the guts in that one.

usaywhatuwant

I agree that there are better lighting systems out there but i have an odysea 250w hqi on my 29 gallon and im totally pleased with the fixture for the price.the only thing i will do different to it is replace the bulb with a better one. they made upgrades in their new versions because the old ones caused some fires, so i heard. the upgrades include better ballast,better wiring, if i had the money i would get a better system or better yet a canopy with a retro kit...and thats actually cheaper.ne way i wouldnt go with an odysea for that size, i would use retros. but they arent horrible like everyone says, they just arent as good as the more expensive units. heat is the main problem with odyssea but i use a kickass fan and its no longer an issue.

MantisMan

I will be getting the odyssea fixture. I am quite pleased with the plethora of knowledgeable feedback from all of you including my other threads. I most certainly am not taking this advice halfheartedly and have taken ALL advice and criticism happily :). I'm really not worried about having to upgrade down the road....as I surely will. Thanks guys!!! much appreciation.