LifeReef experience...

ali1

Just sharing my experience with LifeReef. If your not sure on purchasing a product or not with him and have a slight chance in returning it, dont bother. I purchased a dual overflow box for $234 shipped. I came across a drilled 125G tank for the same price, so I refused the package to avoid any incoming charges. Package was not accepted, not opened, not used, and returned back to Jeff. I emailed Jeff informing him of the refund and I was told he was going to charge me 10% fee to cover "credit card fees that he have to pay for both the initial charge and the fee I have to pay for the refund, time needed to unpack, inspect, clean up, etc."

I agree, no problem with that.

Week later, I get an email stating I been credited back $156.00 with the following fees:

less $19.99 10% restock/return fee.
less $35.00 pack/ship to you.
less $22.81 shipping back to me.

Long story short, if your debating on choosing to go with LifeReef or another manufacturer, don't go LifeReef (Although he may have excellent craftsmanship) because you won't get anywhere close to what you payed.

Val

Re: LifeReef BAD experience...

Just sharing my experience with LifeReef. If your not sure on purchasing a product or not with him and have a slight chance in returning it, dont bother. I purchased a dual overflow box for $234 shipped. I came across a drilled 125G tank for the same price, so I refused the package to avoid any incoming charges. Package was not accepted, not opened, not used, and returned back to Jeff. I emailed Jeff informing him of the refund and I was told he was going to charge me 10% fee to cover "credit card fees that he have to pay for both the initial charge and the fee I have to pay for the refund, time needed to unpack, inspect, clean up, etc."

I agree, no problem with that.

Week later, I get an email stating I been credited back $156.00 with the following fees:

less $19.99 10% restock/return fee.
less $35.00 pack/ship to you.
less $22.81 shipping back to me.

Long story short, if your debating on choosing to go with LifeReef or another manufacturer, don't go LifeReef (Although he may have excellent craftsmanship) because you won't get anywhere close to what you payed.

You ordered a product, changed your mind and expect the merchant to pay all costs associated with shipping. I don't think the problem is the merchant in thsi case.

tnwillia

If I remember right Jeff spells out what will happen if you refuse delivery on the site. I've bought all my sump equipment from him and would not go anywhere else. You get the quality work you pay for. Sorry!

ali1

You ordered a product, changed your mind and expect the merchant to pay all costs associated with shipping. I don't think the problem is the merchant in thsi case.

No! But if the merchant emailed me "20% charge for the refund", I expected 20% off my payment. He should have explicitly said the other charges within the same conversation before I return the package.

ali1

If I remember right Jeff spells out what will happen if you refuse delivery on the site. I've bought all my sump equipment from him and would not go anywhere else. You get the quality work you pay for. Sorry!

I didn't see he didn't make quality products. Read the OP.

I would take a drilled tank over an overflow box anyday

ali1

I didn't see he didn't make quality products. Read the OP.

I would take a drilled tank over an overflow box anyday.

smkndrgn142

No! But if the merchant emailed me "20% charge for the refund", I expected 20% off my payment. He should have explicitly said the other charges within the same conversation before I return the package.

This is from his site...looks pretty straight forward to me...
"Refused Shipments and Returns are subject to packing and shipping charges and a 20% restocking charge. Any merchandise returned that has been used will be issued credit or refund at 50% of purchase price. If you are unhappy with any unused Lifereef item we will exchange, issue credit, or refund purchase price less shipping. Merchandise must be in sellable condition with all original instructions, pamphlets, etc."

ali1

This is from his site...looks pretty straight forward to me...
"Refused Shipments and Returns are subject to packing and shipping charges and a 20% restocking charge. Any merchandise returned that has been used will be issued credit or refund at 50% of purchase price. If you are unhappy with any unused Lifereef item we will exchange, issue credit, or refund purchase price less shipping. Merchandise must be in sellable condition with all original instructions, pamphlets, etc."

Again, I hesitated to do a refund because of this statement online. After speaking with him thru email, I figured it was only going to be 20% or the 10%

wonderloss

He reduced the restocking fee from 20% to 10%, so quit complaining. Expecting him to cover the $57.81 spent on shipping, when there was no sale, is completely unreasonable.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM

I agree with all the above, the fees charged were fair you just can't expect him to eat the shipping cause you changed you mind mid order, he delivered or tried to deliver exactly what you ordered in a timely manner so this is not his fault.

Next time you order be sure you want it or if you do change your mind take the delivery and sell it yourself.

Sorry

DaveK

In addition to what has been said, which I generally agree with, you could have accepted the Lifereef overflow, and then resold it. You'd have taken a loss, but likely not as bad.

Lifereef is one of the truly good companies out there, and you can always call and talk to Jeff directly.

Lastly, if they were a bad company, they would have just taken the thing back, and not even bothered giving you a refund. As I see it your out $78. I would consider this reasonable considering that there was no fault with the company, the product, or it's delivery. Consider it a cheep lesson in what happens if you change your mind after ordering.

ali1

Again, If the man stated 20% will be charged to your account, then I expect 20% to be charged. Not 20%, then 10%, then an extra 15%, etc etc.

ali1

Nonetheless, Jeff has contacted me the next day and we have came upon an agreement. I would not hesitate to purchase from him again:)

kyley

Wow, ali1, I've been considering buying from Jeff. Then the title of this thread scared me. But after reading it, it looks like everything he did was perfectly reasonable. If you got some more of your money back - then shame on you in my humble opinion... He did nothing wrong, you changed your mind, and expect him to pay for that. :( If he'd delivered a faulty product, that's another story.

Maybe the moderators should delete this thread as it unnecessarily portrays LifeReef in a negative light to potential customers like me. Take care,
--Kyle

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nonetheless, Jeff has contacted me the next day and we have came upon an agreement. I would not hesitate to purchase from him again:)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

We can't get into the habit of deleting threads but I did change the thread title and removed the word "bad".

:)