Lifereef Ca. Reactor.

michael_cb_125

Ok Im looking into all of the components of my new 240.
I dont like the thougt of forking out $700 on a Reactor but......It will take alot of turbo calcium to keep my levels up. Has anyone here ever used the Lifereef Units. I just ordered a Filter System from Jeff, and now I am looking into his Ca. Reactors. Also should I even get a Ca. Reactor. I know absolutely nothing about them. How often do you change the media. How do you plumb them in. Where do you get CO2. How much will it cost to fill a 10lb tank. How long will a 10lb tank last. PH? Do it need a monitor. I have a million questions...Thanks for any help-Michael

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Michael, I have a Coralline calcium reactor, not on my tank, but in the basement! I removed it because it was a PITA. When it worked, it was great, but it would only work for 3-4 weeks before it would get air locked and stop dripping. Never used the brand you have asked about. My point is, be sure that you research very well before purchasing one of these. You want it to be as maintenance free and hassel free as possible. If you are planning one of those magnificent SPS tanks, then you will probably need one eventually.

Also, they take up a lot of room, when you consider in that you need a cylinder of CO2 gas!

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Ok Im looking into all of the components of my new 240.
I dont like the thougt of forking out $700 on a Reactor but......It will take alot of turbo calcium to keep my levels up. Has anyone here ever used the Lifereef Units. I just ordered a Filter System from Jeff, and now I am looking into his Ca. Reactors.
I run a complete Lifereef Berlin system from Jeff... love his products and service... see my chronicle for proof!

Also should I even get a Ca. Reactor. I know absolutely nothing about them.

I use a calcium reactor and a DIY Kalkwasser reactor in order to keep up with calcium demand in my tank. Saves money in the long run vs using additives.

How often do you change the media.

I add Knop Koralith media every 3-4 months.

How do you plumb them in.

It pulls water from my sump utilizing a small mini pump and then drips the calcium rich effluent back into the sump. Lifereef sumps come with the holes already drilled. If you get a Lifereef Calcium reactor, Jeff sends detailed instructions... very simple to operate.

Where do you get CO2.

I just filled my 10lb tank. I bought my tank online... about $80. You will also need a CO2 Dual-Gage Assembly includes regulator, dual gages, check valve, solenoid, and needle valve: $139.00. The CO2 you get locally at any beverage or soda fountain place. Just Google carbonic gases and your zip code for local listings.

How much will it cost to fill a 10lb tank.

I just paid $13.86 for a refill.

How long will a 10lb tank last.

Around 1 year.

PH? Do it need a monitor.

I would recommend one.

I have a million questions...Thanks for any help-Michael
Let me know if you have any other questions.

mps9506

And just FWIW I think you will find the Lifereef Ca reactor a bit easier to tune and set than the Koralline unit.

tbittner

This might be a little off topic but I think it applies too. I just hooked up a b-ionic doser which will pump in b-ionic calcium and alkalinity solution. I have around 570 gallons in my system. I don't have a huge amount of coral yet but it's not having any problem maintaining my calcium and alkalinity. I don't need to worry about flooding the tank with CO2 either. Worse thing that would happen is I get a calcium storm...

Tuning it is as simple is adjusting the height of a tube in a container. Alk and Cal can be adjusted independantly of each other.

mps9506

Also FWIW I highly suggest going a dual chamber route. I started out with a single chamber MRC CR-1 and had some trouble getting it dialed in on my last tank.
I believe if I went with a dual chamber it would have been a bit easier and given me less pH troubles.
With a tank your size I think it would be well worth going with a dual chamber design.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
This might be a little off topic but I think it applies too. I just hooked up a b-ionic doser which will pump in b-ionic calcium and alkalinity solution. I have around 570 gallons in my system. I don't have a huge amount of coral yet but it's not having any problem maintaining my calcium and alkalinity. I don't need to worry about flooding the tank with CO2 either. Worse thing that would happen is I get a calcium storm...

Tuning it is as simple is adjusting the height of a tube in a container. Alk and Cal can be adjusted independantly of each other.

That system works well, I personally have known people that have used it but eventually switched over to either a calcium reactor, Kalkwasser reactor or both, because of how expensive it is to dose b-ionic.

Like you said...
I don't have a huge amount of coral yet
At Marine Depot, buying the money saving gallon sizes it costs almost $40 shipped. Now let's think about this... I'm sure my reef would eat up at least 4 gallons of b-ionic a month... that's $960 a year!

So as you can see... in the long run, a calcium/kalkwasser reactor setup will cost you less money. Aside from being more expensive... a calcium/Kalkwasser reactor saves you A LOT of time from having to manually dose. For that reason alone it's better than dosing b-ionic.

As far as CO2 and overdosing Kalwasser by accident... it's like everything else... you have to know your equipment and pay attention.

michael_cb_125

Well I guess I will be getting me a Life reef Ca. Reactor in the next few months. Honestly are they really difficult to use and maintain?

boozeman

If you are planning for a heavy sps then you will need both a dual chambered calcium reactor and a kalk stirrer

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
For an SPS dominated tank you will definitely want both a calcium reactor and Kalkwasser reactor. Just browse through all of the successful setups out there and you will find the majority of them run both.

boozeman

not sure how deep into sps you are planning...look into the geo stuff, it is well made and he can make any size you may need.

michael_cb_125

To be honest I want a SPS SUPER REEF. I love the SPS corals and they are what I want to cater to, with reguard to my tank.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
To be honest I want a SPS SUPER REEF. I love the SPS corals and they are what I want to cater to, with reguard to my tank.

The best place to get ideas would be Reef Central's online Reefkeeping magazine. Just browse through the "Tank of the month". It gives you access to past issues of some amazing setups. That's what I did to get ideas from some of the best setups in the world.

2007 Monthly Index - Reefkeeping Magazine