Lifereef Ca. Reactor.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Do you have a dual chamber reactor? I have read that the 2nd chamber reduces the co2 even further.

prow

no i dont, but yeah that would help alot. really one could just run the effluent into a bucket/bowl (strainer type) of Ca media and that would suck up much of the CO2, more so than a closed extra chamber.

for me though i like some of the other benefits dripping kalk has and the extra CO2 from the Ca reactor actually helps it out.

the combo of both you get the best worlds, as long as your pumps are working that is,lol.

prow

no problem, always like sharing. setting up things for me is the fun part, so many different ways to do the samething and yet so many more ways to screw it all up:D

...I talked with Jeff at lifereef, and he said that he does not make Kalk Reactors/stirrers. He said that there just too many isues associated with their upkeep...

I've been looking into a kalk reactor becuase my evaporation rate is high enough to dose adequate amounts of Kalk. What were the major issues?

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

michael_cb_125

I will get more info when I call him again, but he just said that they can be a hassle to maintain, and that the Ca. Reactors, once set up, are far less likely to fail.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am entertaining the idea of adding a ca reactor incase I began to keep more sps corals but I am currently using a kalkwasser reservoir (no stirrer) with a maxijet powerhead, dual float switches for my ATO. I have had no issues with it and it keeps my ca at 400-440ppm and my ph up.

michael_cb_125

Woodstock-We can both get a Ca. Reactor. I will help you set yours up and you can help me.:) Right now my thinking is that I will need all the help I can get.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
wow im so confused after reading all this?!?

It's really not as complicated as it sounds.

Basically you use the reactors to supply your tank with it's calcium needs and keep your levels stable without having to manually dose additives.

It makes life easier, and in the long run... less expensive.

If you have a small setup with few corals you probably can get by without them. Now if you have a large system with many corals... it's something you seriously want to consider.

mps9506

I've been looking into a kalk reactor becuase my evaporation rate is high enough to dose adequate amounts of Kalk. What were the major issues?

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

The only issues I've seen with them is the tendancy to use inverted maxijets that don't have good fittings around them and may develop leaks. Some brands use small Mag pumps or eheims, but the maxi jet is actually very nice because it is very cheap to replace if the pump fails. And considering the on off conditions and the water that it is pumping, failure rates are probably on the higher side.
Second depending on the brand some have a tendancy to pump the slurry mixture into the tank instead of the clearer mixture near the top.
Finally make sure to get one that has a built in drain valve to make maintenance easier and adding new kalk easier.

The only issues I've seen with them is the tendancy to use inverted maxijets that don't have good fittings around them and may develop leaks. Some brands use small Mag pumps or eheims, but the maxi jet is actually very nice because it is very cheap to replace if the pump fails. And considering the on off conditions and the water that it is pumping, failure rates are probably on the higher side.
Second depending on the brand some have a tendancy to pump the slurry mixture into the tank instead of the clearer mixture near the top.
Finally make sure to get one that has a built in drain valve to make maintenance easier and adding new kalk easier.

What do you guys think of the GEO kalk reactor? It has a built in drain valve and uses the maxi jet. How much kalk capacity should I look for in these units? I've got a 75 gallon with a few SPS colonies. I don't have any plans to implement a Calcium Reactor. I've been buying equipment big for my system for when/if I upgrade to a 120+ gallon. With that in mind, would this reactor work?

GEOkalk1.jpg

Kalkwasser Reactor by GEO*
CR-GEO-KALK

All Cell Cast acrylic construction

* Side mount pump
* Easy fill top for kalk replacement
* Drain valve for testing and filling
* Dependable Maxi-Jet stir pump
* Use with your top off system to replace evaporated aquarium water with kalkwasser
* 7x12 foot print, 22" tall

The world famous GEO kalkwasser reactor!

Our kalk reactors are fabricated using only the finest cast acrylic materials and high quality fittings.
Designed with the user in mind, we feel these are by far the easiest reactors on the market to install, operate and maintain. Easy fill fitting on the lid for adding kalkwasser as needed. You only need to remove the lid for cleaning the reactor.

Drain valve allows you to lower water level in the reactor when adding fresh kalkwasser. You simply remove water from the reactor into a container of kalkwasser, stir it into slurry and pour it back into the reactor through the easy fill opening.

The dependable Maxi Jet stir pump mixes the powder in the chamber; there is no chance of powder exiting the reactor, even if the dosing is pumping water through the reactor as the pump is mixing.

$239.95

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

prow

geo's are good, IMO. i would do a DIY though, save the money. at any rate you can always go with that or a DIY kalk stirrer/reactor and see if it supports your system. the kalk capacity is not dependant on the corals but on the evaporation rates and how often you want to add kalk to the reactor. the kalk drip water is only saturated to a certain point.

Kirblit

I have a Lifereef skimmer and I must say it's built like a tank and works very well. I live about 50 miles away from Jeff at Lifereef and there is an LFS that carries a lot of his stuff and it's all very well made. The CA reactors that I have seen that he makes look very nice and he does have great customer service if you ever have any problems. I think that Melev (Melevsreef.com - Welcome!) uses a Lifereef CA reactor as well and you may want to ask him what he thinks as well. I have an SPS dominated tank as well but they are all frags so I can get away with just my DIY Kalkreactor right now but when I get a CA reactor I will definitely get it from Lifereef I just think that Jeff makes a quality product all around and it's worth the extra money.

geo's are good, IMO. i would do a DIY though, save the money. at any rate you can always go with that or a DIY kalk stirrer/reactor and see if it supports your system. the kalk capacity is not dependant on the corals but on the evaporation rates and how often you want to add kalk to the reactor. the kalk drip water is only saturated to a certain point.

I currently use a 5 gallon kent aquadose to administer kalk. The reason I'm looking towards a reactor is because I'm moving the tank to my living room and don't have room to hide the aquadose. Due to space limitations, I'll be running plumbing underneath the house from a resevoir w/ dosing pump to the reactor.

Do you have any good links to a relatively easy DIY reactor? I would be more interested in one with a pump than a mag stirer. Any ideas?

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple