LFS trying to rip me of

SnoopNL

So my new return pump was defective on arrival, call the LFS he says sure I'll exchange it.

Get there and they tell me it will take 3 weeks, you're not in a rush are you ?

So they call after 4 weeks and guess what: they wanted me to pay extra as he could not find the identical pump.

I told him I'll think about it.
2 days later he calls and says he found the pump..

Any of you ever run into this ?
Just had to vent...

sirrealism

As much as I want to support the LFS stuff like this is to common. I bet you could have bought that pump online for less. I still support my LFS but I am very critical and only use one or 2 that I trust. I drive buy 4 LFS to get to the one I like

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
no, not really. I dont make a habit of going into the LFS only to settle for what they have. I look at what they have and do research. Its an IT Admin thing. I never take the word of one person on how something should perform. If the reviews on various sites are by and large bad, i dont even tempt fate. If the reviews are good, i'll buy it. If it performs well, well thats as it should be. If it does not, how much they resist a replacement/refund sets in concrete whether i do business there again. Friendly, apologetic and helpful; i return with more business. Hostile, accusatory and or condescending; i never darken their door again, and let anyone that asks know why.

LFS here sold me a pump. Dead 1 week out of the box. They didnt quibble or argue, they offered a refund no questions asked. They did not have another of that size in stock, but offered me the next size up no extra cost. They even emailed me a couple times over the next 3 months to make sure i was happy with it. Thats a store i would frequent. I've had LFS be difficult, and i will never go there again.

Snid

Yeah... It sounds like a rip off. How could they have quoted you 3 weeks and then later turn around and say they couldn't find it. They magically knew that no matter where it came from it would be 3 weeks, even if it was from the next town over maybe? And of course, all this time that they are jerking you around, you could have had one up and running by yourself. What if it were an emergency?

Aearin

My local is pretty good, i'm clearly a novice at marine keeping but on a few occasions they've talked me out of some more expensive options and recommended something else. In return i've spent quite a bit there over time, it's the only LFS i visit.

I opted to purchase my RSM 130c from there, whacking it on the credit card rather than a more pleasing 0% Finance offer from Charterhouse to support their business a little

sacktheqb65

yes it certainly depends on your LFS... Some are awfully hard to deal with. Mine has always been great. He is a little high, but then again he has let me borrow equipment that I only needed temporarily and When he ordered something for me that didnt come in, he offered me the next size up, at cost (and I know it was far less that he quoted the price to someone else the day before). I would rather pay a premium for someone to treat me right and try to make things right when he cant! Good luck, and I hope you have another LFS somewhere nearby!

SnoopNL

The other one is ran by a beginner.
Well I'm moving soon so a whole new place to explore for a local LFS.
Tonight the stores should have been open, it's regular here.
I'll give you one guess which store was the only one closed.