Lexinverts' Red Sea Max 250

Lexinverts

Well, I'm back with my tanks after SIX weeks of being gone. I have to say that I am pretty pleased with how everything held up. I lost several pieces due to bleaching---not sure why, but things mostly are in good shape. I will have to pull that big birdsnest out of the tank because it is not getting enough flow or light in the center and is starting to have necrosis. It's ok, since it was getting too big anyway.

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well, I'm back with my tanks after SIX weeks of being gone. I have to say that I am pretty pleased with how everything held up. I lost several pieces due to bleaching---not sure why, but things mostly are in good shape.

Maybe with the new bulbs, corals need to be moved down for awhile until they adjust?

Lexinverts

Maybe with the new bulbs, corals need to be moved down for awhile until they adjust?

I don't think so. I let them acclimate slowly to the new bulbs, per Red Sea's recommended schedule. I think maybe it had to do with my Mg being dosed too high while I was gone. It was 1600-ish when I came back. Supposedly, Montiporas are more sensitive to high Mg, but who knows? Things seem to be stable now.

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm not convinced about high mg being the culprit.
My mg was off the chart for over a month when my SG was too high, did not lose a coral.

Lexinverts

I'm not convinced about high mg being the culprit.
My mg was off the chart for over a month when my SG was too high, did not lose a coral.

It also could have been Mg dosed too quickly. I'm suspicious of the Mg, since the Mg dosing was the only thing done differently while I was gone. My other RSM tank, that still has the stock bulbs, also had some bleaching, and the Mg was really high in that tank too. But, the important thing to me now is that everything seems to be stable!

To be safe, I'm going to automate my Mg dosing from now on too. Just ordered some more BRS dosing pumps.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You tank looks great Andy!!
Just wanted to ask about the birdsnest....I have 2 different kinds that are still very small (they have not been in my tank very long yet). Wondering if top & center position in the tank is not a good idea? What would you suggest since you've replaced your's? Mine are still very moveable & I'd appreciate your opinion.

Lexinverts

You tank looks great Andy!!
Just wanted to ask about the birdsnest....I have 2 different kinds that are still very small (they have not been in my tank very long yet). Wondering if top & center position in the tank is not a good idea? What would you suggest since you've replaced your's? Mine are still very moveable & I'd appreciate your opinion.

Hi Diana:
Thanks! Here's where I've placed one of my other birdsnests. It is on my mag rack, high up in the tank, and in an area of relatively high flow. This allows the internal parts of the birdsnest to get the most flow and light possible. My problem with the other birdsnest was that the internal parts of it were not getting enough light and flow, so it started dying from the inside out. Yours are probably getting plenty of light with your LEDs, but make sure they have enough flow.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
HaPpY TaNk-A-VeRsArY Lexinverts!!
Awesome 1st year...Wishing you MANY MORE :bday1:

Last edited:

Lexinverts

Here's a new FTS. I've overcome a few bleaching episodes, some cyanobacteria, and am still battling Montipora eating nudibranchs, but the tank is looking pretty good.