Let's get started! (Pico vase build)

Anya

Very nice :)
Can you tell more about maintenance?

Thanks guys. :D

I still haven't gotten my coral food, so honestly I haven't fed the vase apart from a few freshwater shrimp, squished up. (Probably why the hermits went after my coral.) I change the water once a week, 100% if I feed, 2 hours after whenever I feed. Otherwise I let it go. I top off when I think about it...usually in the middle of the time between WC's. But I forget a lot. I let the salinity levels fluctuate- nobody minds. :)

Anya

Here are some pictures from last night, introducing my new sea star who hitchhiked home on a seashell from a beach trip...tsk, tsk.

Back view:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Just found your thread, an amazing little vase you have there :thumbup:
And the Asterina Star will help with your algae clean up...cool little hitchhiker for a vase size.
Some of the Asterina varieties are rumored to eat coral polyps but the ones in my tank stay on the algae...might watch where yours likes to hang out.
How are you keeping the insides looking so algae free? Tiny magnet?
This is so neat...we've seen ships in a bottle & now a reef in a bottle :D

Anya

Just found your thread, an amazing little vase you have there :thumbup:
And the Asterina Star will help with your algae clean up...cool little hitchhiker for a vase size.
Some of the Asterina varieties are rumored to eat coral polyps but the ones in my tank stay on the algae...might watch where yours likes to hang out.
How are you keeping the insides looking so algae free? Tiny magnet?
This is so neat...we've seen ships in a bottle & now a reef in a bottle :D

Thank you!! Great to have an ID, too. :D He's just been grazing on the glass since I put him in. I didn't even know he was alive...I scolded my mom, who hadn't even seen him. Even if he eats some of my cloves, it won't hurt anything.

I haven't cleaned the glass in weeks...I have lots of spots of coraline algae on the front...I think I'd just say my lack of feeding keeps everything in check. That will change, though. Usually whenever I feed I get an algae bloom in a spot or two, but I just rub it off with tweezers and paper towels, hehe.

Still looking great Anya.... Congrats on the success so far. Looks like it'll continue to thrive for you. My only concern... you'd need some "ship in a bottle" skills to frag those corals lol. Or can you remove the rock-scape easy enough?

At any rate... nicely done! :wave:

Anya

Still looking great Anya.... Congrats on the success so far. Looks like it'll continue to thrive for you. My only concern... you'd need some "ship in a bottle" skills to frag those corals lol. Or can you remove the rock-scape easy enough?

At any rate... nicely done! :wave:

Thank you! ^_^ I can in fact remove all the rock-scape easily. It's only 2 big hunks. Honestly, I think the macro algae is going to need trimmed long before I have to touch the coral, lol.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How's your vase going Anya? Any new additions or still going along swimmingly? :)