Let's get started! (Pico vase build)

Anya

I decided I just needed to start a thread so I can chronicle this journey! And I need somewhere to make notes and muse... For starters, so I don't have to explain myself every time I post, if you're wondering why I'm putting a reef in a vase, this link will be helpful:

http://www.nanoreefblog.com/features/pico-reefs/the-history-of-pico-reef-biology

Went to Goodwill last night and picked up my 'tank' :p Also picked up an extra just in case something (god forbid) happened and I had to do an emergency transfer to another vessel.

(ignore the mess and sparse FW tanks...)

At this point I have these things ordered and crossed off my 'to do' list:

Vase
Lighting
Heater
Air Pump
Tubing
Bubble Stones (10 pack, haha.)
Check Valves
12 inch tweezers for aquascaping
hydrometer
thermometer

Things to get:

Live Rock (2-3 lbs)
Live Sand (1-2 lbs)
Frozen Food
Dosing Stuff
Probably a tiny bit of salt for emergencies. (I plan on getting all my water at my LFS, I don't want to mess with mixing and such.)
Couple gallons of distilled water for topoffs.

Possible Future Livestock: (To be added one at a time)

Blue mushroom
Palythoa of some sort?
Maybe a Colt
Maybe a Duncan

Blue legged hermit
TBA snails lol

I do REALLY want to get into sun coral, and I miiiight get one to live in here, but I think I would prefer to just do another vase for them that I wouldn't heat or light. That would be easy enough. I can certainly run two vases off one pump.

Everything's scheduled to arrive Friday. :D Planning on heading to my LFS on Saturday to pick up the rock and sand!

spongebob.gif

Going to have to keep an eye on this.... should be cool! :wave:

Anya

:hallo::geekin:

Thank you guys!! I will try my best to not disappoint. :D

You know the terrible thing is...I already have my 2nd tank planned...I'm gonna stick this here so I don't forget:

It'll be a 3-gallon w/live rock, sand, and yet to be determined corals, with a Candy-striped pistol shrimp and a Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby. (Or another small shrimp goby if I can't find the Hi-Fin) ^_^ I'm aware we typically don't like to do fish in picos, but my water changes will be heavy, and hopefully by the time I have a second tank I'll be a little more experienced. :)

Gaaaah I'm so excited about everything!! Friday and Saturday can't arrive fast enough!!

Ratpack

Can't wait to see the results. Are you going to buy the packaged saltwater or what your LFS makes? My LFS water was always high in TDS when I used to buy it. Bought my own RO/DI and it has more than paid for itself.

Anya

What my LFS makes. It's a REALLY well thought of shop. I'll test the water when I get it, but I'm pretty confident it'll be good.

Thank you guys!! I keep expecting someone to yell at me...idk why...haha (give it time!) I'm having fun doing my research. I NEED MY SUPPLIES! (Tomorrow!!)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I source all my water from my lfs and my sps corals and clam couldn't be happier with it! I much prefer the use of NSW for a tank :)
It's going to be a great little tank so hopefully no one does yell :p

Anya

I source all my water from my lfs and my sps corals and clam couldn't be happier with it! I much prefer the use of NSW for a tank :)
It's going to be a great little tank so hopefully no one does yell :p

Ah, me too! I was going to collect my own, but worried too much about the temperature difference. I don't want to kill my local fauna in the water... (My little slice of heaven is about 50-60 degrees)

Thank you!! I hope so! And I hope not! lol. I think the big thing I'm worried about is my crappy ebay LEDs, haha. I'm scared I'm going to kill my coral! If they start going downhill, though, I'll step in with some better lighting. I think maybe I just have to prove to myself they won't work, lol...

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ah, me too! I was going to collect my own, but worried too much about the temperature difference. I don't want to kill my local fauna in the water... (My little slice of heaven is about 50-60 degrees)

Thank you!! I hope so! And I hope not! lol. I think the big thing I'm worried about is my crappy ebay LEDs, haha. I'm scared I'm going to kill my coral! If they start going downhill, though, I'll step in with some better lighting. I think maybe I just have to prove to myself they won't work, lol...

I live too far away from the bay to be able to collect my own :( so I just use the NSW my lfs gets in and I haven't had any issues with it to date :)
I'm sure it will if you take time to plan each step especially with such a small environment :) There's only one way to find out and if they seem to be fine I'm sure they will be it'll just be about how long they last or how well they run haha It always pays to have a backup plan though :)

Anya

The light came today!! And my vase found a spot of it's own. :D

I must say, I'm impressed with the light! It seems very sturdy and well made.

Giant tweezers came, too!

lbiminiblue

:hallo::geekin:

Thank you guys!! I will try my best to not disappoint. :D

You know the terrible thing is...I already have my 2nd tank planned...I'm gonna stick this here so I don't forget:

It'll be a 3-gallon w/live rock, sand, and yet to be determined corals, with a Candy-striped pistol shrimp and a Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby. (Or another small shrimp goby if I can't find the Hi-Fin) ^_^ I'm aware we typically don't like to do fish in picos, but my water changes will be heavy, and hopefully by the time I have a second tank I'll be a little more experienced. :)

Gaaaah I'm so excited about everything!! Friday and Saturday can't arrive fast enough!!

Don't worry. We all get the urge to expand and get bigger tanks. Happened to me in like 3 months. More than doubled in size. I think you should do fine with sun corals. They're easy to care for, but need lots of food. So you have to do a pretty good amount of water changes.

Anya

WQDOUJWREFJWERLFJJ@!(&!(#&!!!!!!

I am beyond excited!!! PICTURES:

And my makeshift 'lid' since it was spitting alll over everything, ahaha:

I am SO HAPPY! I adore the LR I got- so so so pretty, and had some really cool bits I'm looking forward to watching mature...:D:D:D

Anya

Look dead center of the picture. That's bright pink in person. Isn't it cool? Can't wait for it to grow so I can find out what it is!

Anya

Tentatively ID'd my first critter! Think it's an Amphipod of some sort. :D

(Again, dead center of the screen, look close)

She's SOO cool. (This I see eggs of some sort on it's belly)