Let's get started! (Pico vase build)

Anya

IMO, it looks prettier every day. :D

I used a piece of aluminum foil as a lid yesterday. It was PERFECT, until a little voice in the back of my head told me to google the effects of Aluminum on living creatures...so yeah. Cling wrap it is, lol. I hope it works! I have a marble and a little plastic hermit crab weighing down the center, so hopefully all the evap and splashes will drip back down like it did with the aluminum.

Anya

My first coral! A cute lil mushroom. I know it's really too early for coral, but I had some rats to get rid of, and I traded them for this guy (Sort of. It was more like he felt he had to compensate me for the rats. :p I raise snakes, you see.) So we'll see if he lives!!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Looking good! My only concern is your plastic cover prohibiting gas exchanges thus messing up your PH balance. Just a thought.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Interesting project indeed. One thing you will need to watch out for is how to clean the glass due to the vase neck and curvature of the vase.

Anya

Thanks everyone!! It's still doing well this morning, so I'm pretty happy. Think it's time to add the CUC...I've spotted some hair algae. Noooo.

Looking good! My only concern is your plastic cover prohibiting gas exchanges thus messing up your PH balance. Just a thought.

See, I open it multiple times a week, so there's never really a chance for anything to buildup. It's mainly there to prevent evap and splashing all over the place, which is pretty vital.

Thanks everyone!! It's still doing well this morning, so I'm pretty happy. Think it's time to add the CUC...I've spotted some hair algae. Noooo.

See, I open it multiple times a week, so there's never really a chance for anything to buildup. It's mainly there to prevent evap and splashing all over the place, which is pretty vital.

Will you be placing any display type macro algae in there? It'd be interesting to see if you could balance gas exchange in a semi-closed system that small. It's been done but haven't seen it like this. :wave:

Anya

Please forgive the salt creep and unhappy mushrooms! The poor mushrooms were removed from their plug and dropped repeatedly while attempting to place them on a rock...lol. Other than just now, they have been very happy.

I picked up some clove polyps, as you see...My theme is entirely blues and purples.

I took everyone's advice about macro algae, and picked some up as well. :D Also tested my water and found it to be perfect. Getting a master kit next week. (Yes, I do put the cart before the horse.)

Current stock:

2 mushrooms
a big 5 inch piece of LR covered in blue clove polyps (Only 19.99!! I'm feeling good about that.)
3 random snails (hope they're good...)
2 tiny generic hermit crabs (when they get too big I'll send them back to the LFS and buy some blue legged hermit crabs somewhere else)
1 big clump of unidentified macro algae
a crap ton of feather dusters and tube worms and what I'm near positive is aptasia on the LR that came with the clove coral...heh. Worth it.

:D:D:D:D

Anya

Thank you! the macro screws with my blues...but I suppose I'll just have to suffer it's presence. :p

Anya

This looks awesome. Did you order the vase online? If so, where?

Thank you both. I didn't, I got it from Goodwill along with another one virtually identical to it. It was under $3, and there was actually a third I left behind, haha. It's a vase Walmart carries in stores. Should be about $10 new. :

Anya

Not the best pictures, but it's maturing nicely! I pulled the hermits a few days ago for eating my mushroom...naughty crabs! Back to the store you go!