LEDs and Eye Safety

chipmunkofdoom2

To those with LED lights, I don't need to preach to you about not looking directly into the LEDs.. the spots you see for an hour after serve as enough of a reminder. I remember when I first powered on those first Cree XR-Es long ago, I stared at them for a good while, quite disbelieving how bright they are! :dead:

While some temporary spots might be a bit irritating, it turns out that Cree actually did some testing to evaluate the risk. Under IEC/EN 60825, all Cree LEDs actually fall under the heading of Class II devices. For those who are not familiar, this is the class that most hand-held laser pointers are classified under! :snshne:

A full list of Cree's findings can be found here. It's useful to note that "Class II" means that the eye's reflexes are fast enough to limit harmful exposure to the beams, so glancing at an LED light once won't make you go blind.. but I wouldn't push my luck. Give your eyes a break, don't stare directly into your LED light! :shades:

Surfnut

With this kind of info mu first thoughts are:

do LEDS have the potential to harm our fish' sight? I think bottom dwellers like sole n such would be of biggest concern.

Or does the constantly undulating water surface diffuse enough of the light to negate the harmful effects?

Just a couple of thoughts that popped up

Robzilla

The water will diffuse it. Even if a fish happened to get a straight on glimpse at an LED, it still wouldn't be as bad as staring at the sun like it would get if it was still in the ocean.

GlassMunky

I would think think that stareing into ANY bright light for a period of time would be something common sense would tell you not to do..... but now-a-days...... lol

reefer gladness

It's a worthwhile warning to any DIY'ers out there though. For some projects you may be adjusting current through the driver and it's common to connect the multi-tester in sequence like it's an LED, makes it kinda hard to avoid getting flashed in the eyes.

I wouldn't be concerned in the least about damage to the fishes eyes though. In nature we have that big yellow LED up in the sky that we've learned not to stare into.