Led mod advice needed

magnum

I just bought a Powerbrite led fixture (blue) for my FOWLR tank. I decided to see how it looked on my 130D and WOW. Everything seems to glow. I am looking for some ideas on mounting the fixture. I want to mount it to the front part of the hood but I am not sure how it comes apart. I also need to angle it to face the rock work so it does not shine strait down. I also need to know if you can buy a replacement for the front part of the hood? Just in case I mess it up.

magnum

OK nobody responded to my post so I made a couple brackets and mounted it. It looks awesome with the lights off and even makes the colors pop a bit more when there on. If anybody is interested I will try to post some video I just need to learn how to do it.

Sounds great. I would definitely like to see how you mounted them to the hood. I was thinking about getting some led's for some time but could not think of a good way of doing it without really moding the hood.

magnum

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8137.jpg

The photos and video don't do it justice but trust me it looks cool. I wrapped the unit in plastic wrap just so the electrical cord does not get wet.

Dweezil

Nice job magnum. Pictures never do it justice. ;) From what I can tell it does look cool though..and looks like you have that shimmer effect too.

magnum

Thanks, this was the best $70.00 I could have spent on my tank and would recommend it to anybody looking to make your tank glow. I could have done a little better job if I wasn't so impatient to get it mounted. I built the brackets out of some SS angle cut and trimmed the metal then drilled and riveted it together so I could angle it toward the rock work. It will pivot to give me the angle I was looking for. The only problem now it the tank looks better at night with the lights off than during the day. The blue lights are very bright. I don't know if I should leave them on all the time or shut them when I go to bed.

Shamus

Looks like a really cool mod - did you post how you did this in the RSM mod thread? I'd be curious to see if this would be something I could/would want to try.

jhoorfar

ya same here, ive been wanting better lighting for a while now. i just feel like the corals dont stand out as much as they should be... i was also thinking to just buy a fixture and take off the entire hood, but i dont want to lol. is there any way we can just turn on the actinics?

magnum

I did not post it in the mod thread. It was not that hard to do. Any of the lights I found get mounted flat as does the link above. The LED lights shine strait down and unless they are aimed at the corals will not give you the look you need. I was either going to do what I did by making the two brackets or I was going to make two wedges and mount that to the front side of the hood and mount the light to the wedge. I was not sure of the angle so I opted for the brackets, they would pivot to give me the angle I needed. I used a piece of stainless steel angle. I cut four pieces with tin snips. I drilled and riveted two of the pieces together one side to get screwed to the hood the other to mount the bracket that the light fixture snaps into. I cut the corners off of the angle bracket that would stick out, I made one bracket for each side. I am sure somebody out there sells a bracket like the one I made I just didn't know if I would find one in stainless so I made one.
IMG_8133-2.jpg

Dash10

Magnum... awesome video. I've been contemplating adding a Powerbrite LED fixture to my tank for quite some time now but have talked myself out of it. I guess my only concern is that when the main RSM lights are turned on, very little shimmering effect can be achieved with the Powerbrite LED's. What's your take on this?

magnum

Dash- you do get some shimmer affect with the tank lights on but not much. The way the tank looks with the LEDs on and the tank lights off is awsome.