LED lights on the RSM650

rabucazz

Has anyone been using LED lights on the RSM650? My T5 fixture generates a lot of heat and it makes the chiller kicking in several times a day, even in the winter (day average temp 20C here in QLD, Australia). Besides, is recommended to replace the bulbs every 6 months.

I am wondering what the best (cost vs. benefit) LED light for the RSM650 would be. Has anyone done it before?

Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've converted both of my tanks to LED and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the need were to arise. Fact of the matter is that until something better comes out I'll probably only do LED on any tank(s) I have.

I went with ModularLED a couple of years ago for my RSM130D but I went with StevesLED a few months ago on my NC12 and would probably go StevesLED again if I needed to. Super easy to install and great customer service.

Mdk16

As you can see there has been much discussion on the topic, as the need exists. To date you have a few options all with their individual pro's/cons.

I'm still working out the logistics of a DIY build with Rapid LED's, you can review my build and Choff's as we have spent a lot of time working out the details. Choff went so far as purchasing the components and cancelled the project at the last minute. Scott pulled off a similar build to what we have been discussing and talks about the challenges.

I just set up my tank last week so I'm busy for the time being getting everything adjusted and set up. I just purchased a chiller and have brand new T5's which should last me about a year. I figure I'll use the time to develop the plan and to see what advances are made over the next few months. It seems that LED's is the future (for now, anyway) and I'm hoping we will soon have more lighting options with smaller foot prints regarding multiple drivers etc, at a lower cost.

Let us know what you decide.

BasaReef

Sure wish Red Sea Max lineup would offer LED option. Seems like a lot of us spend way too much for this tank to not have an LED option from the get go.

Choff

They claim they have no plans to offer this any time soon.

It would involve the design of a new hood or a redesign of the existing to handle both. With the S series just over a year old they probably want to recoup their startup costs before investing any more money in a redesign.

They did just start making their own line of t5 bulbs too so that would have an impact on any sales projections they had for those.

I think they will do it and probably in a big way. We just won't see it anytime soon.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

rabucazz

Thanks for the replies guys. I still have to take some photos of my tank and create a thread here. I just moved in so haven't had time to do it yet.

I wasn't thinking about DIY LED unit, as I'm not handy at all. I want to buy the unit, put in place and switch it on straight away. I know I'm lazy but DIY doesn't work for me as I would take weeks to get it done and the final result would suck!

Has anyone heard about Shenzhen GreenSun Optoelectronic? I know it's a Chinese brand, but it can be a good thing.

5ft-3_zpsdafe493b.jpg

5ft-4_zpsb35f0c81.jpg

5ft-2_zps30e372a9.jpg

5ft-4_zps6c2f90e2.jpg

Choff

I hear ya. Most of us like the look of the stock hood and would like maintain it. If I were to ditch the hood I would have gone radion xr30w pro's (after knocking off a series of liquor stores to pay for them) or I would give a serious look at maxspect leds. They put out a solid product at a much friendlier price. Or I would wait for AI to put out their custom pucks.

Sorry not familiar with the Chinese ones you posted, but my depth of knowledge is limited to just a few brands I looked into.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

IanReefer

Steves LEDs makes a RSM650 LED upgrade. I've had mine for a few months now. Corals grow way better now than with the stock T5's. It was around $650, but I've got 10X that much in my corals. Took me about 1 hour to put them in and worked perfectly ever since.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Naj117

Go with the radion pro 3's mate, I'm gonna make the upgrade soon (the missus is not allowing me to have anything hanging from the roof but when she goes to her mums il have them up ;-) )

Word on the streets is Red Sea will be releasing LEDs in September

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You could also check into the GHL Mitras LED units. They come from the factory with "Pendant" mounting but others have "mounted" them and love them. They aren't the cheapest LED on the market but they are nothing less than amazing.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
I'm getting to the point of getting my lads to build a light unit that fits in OE style. If this looks good (ie original ) and functions with 1-10v on differing channels I would seriously chat to my friend who runs a electronics manufacturing business and cost up building up supply's of these. I'm pretty sure these would knock spots of current retro fits and be in the league of Vegas and radions for quality. It's been frustrating to see so many overpriced basic put it together yourself retrofits. My only problem would be the market for these. We all want them but in global terms there has to enough takers to warrant the r&d development for a aftermarket kit.

Nob35

I have 4 AI Vegas that I been running in my tank for over 1.5 years. I'm pretty basic with corals because I'm away from the tank to often so can't really tell you about growth. Every thing in my tank looks great when I'm in town long enough to take care of tank. If you are planning to get a Chinese or cheap led setup make sure you do plenty of research on them, best way is to find someone that has them on a forum and ask plenty of questions. Do not trust any store or company reviews. There are places in china where giving false reviews on there products is all they do everyday. In my research I found that good quality LEDs are going to cost you quite a bit of money but they will pay for themselves within 3 years. When I was looking the 3 top units on the market were AI Vega which since has been upgraded to Hydra, Eotech Radion Pro and maxspect mazzarra P.

If you plan on taking the canopy off the Maxspects will be the cheapest option. With the Hydras and Radions you may be able to get away with only 3 units but will be pushing it.