large (macaroni) biopellets

cracker

Hello! Iv'e been using small biopellets in a LF 550 reactor.I recently saw some larger macaroni type pellets. I was told these larger one don't have to tumble. Anybody have any experience with these larger pellets? Thanks

cracker

Thanks for the reply. I'm wanting to run more of the pellets but I think the reactor is too big for the pump to effectively tumble more pellets. I already have a mag 5 on it now but the small fittings on the reactor restrict the flow too much.

jerry26

i think ima wait and see what kind of responses people have about that before i buy.

i have the same flow problem as you with my mr-1 reactor. i originally bought it planning to use it with bio-pellets but i just cant get enough flow through it like i want. so now i just use it for carbon/gfo and run my tlf 150 with pellets. ive been considering drilling out the holes and installing larger fittings but i havent got around to it yet.

DaveK

This seems to be an interesting product. I'd say it was too new at the moment to get a lot of feedback about how well it works. However, I don't see too much of a downside to trying it. The product is similar to other media, except for size, and it's not that expensive. If it creates a problem, it's easily removed.

All things considered, I'd consider giving it a try, especially since I would not need to invest in a reactor to test it out.

cracker

OK, All I got was a website. npbiopellets.dvh-import.com The LFS guy says these don,t need to tumble just be placed in a high flow area . Iv.e got some in there now but before I spend all that green on them I want some more info. At the bottom of this page is the example of these larger pellets. Thanks for the replies.

DaveK

... The LFS guy says these don,t need to tumble just be placed in a high flow area . ...

I'd sure love to have a nickel for every time someone at an LFS said that and it wasn't true. You did the right thing by asking first. As least you got a little feed back.

cracker

Thanks "Hot Will" for the link. Those are the ones I asked about. Dave K ,Well said! Iv'e been running biopellets for some time now. They have really helped with phosphate levels. I can test and see the improvement. I'm going to run these XL pellets for a while and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks "Hot Will" for the link. Those are the ones I asked about. Dave K ,Well said! Iv'e been running biopellets for some time now. They have really helped with phosphate levels. I can test and see the improvement. I'm going to run these XL pellets for a while and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Sounds like a plan! Keep us posted?

cracker

Hello everybody! I just ordered some more of the NP/XL pellets. I couldn't find very much current info on the XL pellets. I have a 200gl tank and excess nutrients have always been a problem. I ran phosban for years and it just didn't help. Vodka dosing sounded too complicated so I started running the smaller pellets about 6 months ago and saw good improvement but not enough ! I "think" I couldn't get enough of the small pellets tumbling to be really effective. So, hopefully I can add more of these large ones to make a difference. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out . Thanks again!

anthony27

FYI:

When you run pellets please rember that you need to check the alk in the tank. Meaning when you drop the level of trates in the tank you do not have enough food for the sps in the tank to grow and you can have burnt tips and also stn issues.

Just make sure to check the alk during the week and watch the signs of stress out corals or no polyp extention.

cracker

I can't believe how fast time goes!It's been over a year since I posted . The large bio pellets have worked very well for me,but I wonder if I can get more out of them,
They don't dissolve like the small pea sized ones . Tests show very low phosphates ,0 nitrates.However I still have "some" unwanted algae. The instructions say to add more pellets every 6 months or so.I,m going to fill the canister up to the top and see how it effects the water flow . Best wishes to all!

cracker

Hello Al! I'm still hanging in there. I hope your doing well! I see good results but it's taking forever. The littlefish 550 is packed full with the NP XL biopellets. I getting good flow on the output but no tumble. Also I'm dosing heavy with ocean blend 2/prt. This tank is sucking up the alk like crazy.Like I was saying, the tank overall is improving but it's a real slow process. Best wishes to all!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Cracker I'm glad things are improving. That's pretty much what it's all about around here isn't it?

Good to get an update. Drop me a note some time bud.