Kyles blood, sweet and TEARS!!! :)

kyle4201

I hope im doing this right, I was told to start a tank Thread, and tag myself or something, so heres my attempt. :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You are spot on! This is where you'll post your tank pics and share you experience with the community!

kyle4201

they said in my last post I should link it to this post so people could help better, having all my info right here or something. (sorry, just figuring this out,, )

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
cool. :) but how do I get the thing under my name with the chronical link?

You go to "User CP" in the top right corner of the page.
Left column - choose "Edit Profile"
At the bottom is a space for the reef chronicle.

Cheers!

kyle4201

20130531_145903_zpsf9d5a858.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kyle4201

20130706_202530_zps2bcf94ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] my 1st refugium,, complete with interlocking 4 piece lexon cover. (soon to be replaced with bigger)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
20130706_202530_zps2bcf94ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] my 1st refugium,, complete with interlocking 4 piece lexon cover. (soon to be replaced with bigger)

I know you are replacing this so when you design the replacement keep in mind that you will need enough room for when a pump fails or the electricity goes out that the water that will back flow down to the sump will not cause the sump/fuge to over-flow. It's never a question of "if" it always a question of when. You can always install a check-valve on the return back to the tank but they do sometimes stick open so I prefer enough room in the sump to accept the water. Another tip is to put the return that sits in the tank as close to the surface as you can so you don't have TOO much back-flow dumping back into the sump.

In a 4' tank, you'd be surprised how much water back-flows to the sump with the return only 1" below the water surface.

kyle4201

Thx Bear. The line on the left that the water is touching is the MAX fill line. when I shut off the pump?loose power, the water stays 1/2" below the overflow point. Im glad I figured this out b4 I had an accident. :)

kyle4201

Thx Bear. The line on the left that the water is touching is the MAX fill line. when I shut off the pump?loose power, the water stays 1/2" below the overflow point. Im glad I figured this out b4 I had an accident. :)

Mike Johnson

Now, I guess I'll be the one who as nicely as I can tell Kyle that he needs live rock. I am old enough to remember when using live rock (in the U.S.) greatly increased our success in keeping saltwater aquariums. I'm just going to quote an article in livestockusa.org " As you may know, live rock was in many ways the "silver bullet secret" to keeping saltwater tanks, especially reef tanks with corals. Though tanks with lots of high tech gear can be run without it, tanks with it can be run without lots of high tech and expensive equipment. I like some of both. Good live rock can be one of the most aesthetically pleasing aspects of a tank full of beautiful, rare animals. It can also keep them alive! It contains all the bacteria necessary for nitrification and denitrification, key to the success of a reef tank. The best filter you'll buy will be your live rock ... it is both literally and figuratively the foundation of your saltwater aquarium.

Back in the 1960's the famous pioneering aquarist Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod would visit a guy in Indonesia that had what he called fantastic beautiful saltwater tanks, run with only and airstone. There were pictures of it in some of his early books. Yes there were few fish, but lots of what we'd now call awesome live rock! That was his secret. Just an airstone, and live rock."

My newest tank, 2 1/2 years old, was started using imported Vanuatu live rock. I have hundreds of hitchhikers, including many kinds of corals. I highly recommend livestockusa.org.

The FIRST ADVISE I'd give someone new to the hobby would be to start with plenty of live rock.