Koralia Question

naperenterprise

Does anyone else have problems with the Koralia comming apart when the power goes out? It seems when the power goes out, and comes back on the props all shoot out??

Is this normal?

slakker

not normal... they can be taken apart, so I'm assuming you put them back together so the cap is locked in place with a twist?

chriswho

Mine has done it a couple times, but come to find out I didn't have it locked in right. I think they lock counter clockwise... opposite of what you would normally expect.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No that's not normal. Either you have defective units (more than one isn't likely but is possible) or you have something assembled wrong.

They can and DO start backwards but they are designed to click and re-seat themselves until they start in the correct direction. There is enough fore-after play to where if they start backwards the thrust will cause the impeller to go forward until it looses "power" and then re-seats. Usually going the CORRECT direction. The front assembly should keep the impeller from LEAVING the housing completely.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
BigAl07 - I've wondered about that - my Koralia will often do that on a restart - the impeller moves forward for a bit then goes back to the correct position. Thanks for the information.

sambrinar

I have never had mine come apart, but one of them sometimes needs a tap on the prop to get going after an outage. I would contact the company about it coming apart

naperenterprise

Well maybe I just don't have it screwed on tight enough? I'll take them out today for a good cleaning, and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

lcstorc

If it is one of the original ones they were not to be used with a wave maker for the reason Al stated. They should be fine with power outages but they were not designed for frequent starts and stops. They certainly shouldn't come apart though. I always thought they would just stop working.
They do make them now that you can put on a wave maker and even have their own wavemaker.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Icstorc - the new controllable Koralias that are meant to go on the Koralia wavemaker are new DC models and are only made with fittings to plug into their controller.

lcstorc

Sorry, I forgot to say that part. Yes, they only work with their controller. So far my only complaint is that the cords from the power heads to the controller are too short. They are 6ft long and so is my tank.