Kirk's new reeftank build

R1junkie

Figured I would start a journal for my new saltwater tank I am starting. Collecting parts for it atm, but here is a pic of the tank and the DIY tank stand that is currently in progress.
tankstand1.jpg

The new tank 65g needs a little polishing still but gives ya an idea what I am working with.
tank.jpg

R1junkie

Will have some pics of the stand finished later today just got done adding the trim and staining/polyurathaning it earlier just waiting for it to dry to put the doors on it

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
U probably know this but the stain/poly brings out the grain so sand in between coats.

.............I'm feeling salty.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice oak stain. Looks ready to b tanked.

.............I'm feeling salty.

R1junkie

Ya it has oak top and doors, the trim is pine and the faces are birch, didn't turn out too bad for my first cabinet other than I need to tweek the hinges so the doors close all the way.

R1junkie

Got the plumbing all done and water testing it tonight, been running it for about 30 min now and no leaks and the sump doesnt overflow when i cut the power to the skimmer and pump. Should be dragging it in the house this weekend and starting on the rock scape.

R1junkie

Thanks dmatt it's been a slow process collecting everything but it is all starting to come together. Need to redo the standpipes in the overflow a little taller so it isn't so noisy (they are way to short, sounds like a waterfall going into the overflow). Was kinda concerned about the sand I got from the pictures on marcorocks but after it got here it is a nice larger grain size, not the smaller sugary type stuff.