Killing Aiptasia with electricity

Uslanja

Hi Paul! Hi Everybody! Just returned from the USA with the sweet little "bad boy" that Paul made for us! We'll be taking photos of our hunting trip and then post them back here later. Just couldn't contain the excitement! Got my scent blockers on and goin a huntin!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just zapped a few more Majanos to Majano heaven about an hour ago. I love this invention of Paul B! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!

Uslanja

Hi Reefmack! I want to go hunting but Tracy is at work and not home to grab photos and then when she gets in tonight I'm heading out....... maybe I'll just kill,a few and leave a couple to photograph later? This weapon of Aiptasia Destruction looks so cool!!!

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ray, all of my devices have been on this and other forums over the years I just forget when.
This is the brine shrimp hatchery which I made decades ago and still use it every day.
You put the eggs on the right, dark side, then in a day you cover that side and slide open the door that covers a hole to the lighter side. In about 10 minutes all the shrimp swim to the brighter side and the shells stay on the right side. I slide down the door and open the valve, just the shrimp come out. Then I drain the thing and put in a new batch of eggs.
My fish get new born brine every day.
Hatchery002.jpg

Question about the brine shrimp hatchery style ... so you dont add any air line ? just salt water to both sides, add eggs and light one side till brine swim through the hole and end up there ?

I decap the eggs, but if I can hatch them without the need of a pump it would be amazing ... not sure if that's what you do though.

Paul B

I add the eggs to the dark side and I do add an airline. It increases the yield about double. Then I remove the airline and cover the right (egg) side with a tight fitting black cover and I place the device in a lighted area. (I actually lower a desk lamp over the left side)
Before I do that I slide open the door that opens the hole between the right and left side. That is hard to see in the picture. In about ten minutes, all the shrimp swim through the hole to the left side.
If you de capsulate the shrimp, why do you need a hatchery?

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
I add the eggs to the dark side and I do add an airline. It increases the yield about double. Then I remove the airline and cover the right (egg) side with a tight fitting black cover and I place the device in a lighted area. (I actually lower a desk lamp over the left side)
Before I do that I slide open the door that opens the hole between the right and left side. That is hard to see in the picture. In about ten minutes, all the shrimp swim through the hole to the left side.
If you de capsulate the shrimp, why do you need a hatchery?

Nice thanks. well I decap them in order to get rid of the parasites or any hydroids or ... ( as its used mostly by my longfin batfish and seahorses)

I hatch BBS a couple times a week (in inverted bottels which makes it much harder ... and time consuming and noisy) feed once and grow others so I can enrich them later on and feed them ... .. what did you have in mind ? I have tried feedign the seahorses the decapped eggs, but they dont move and arent really alive for the seeahrose to prey on... I wonder if decapped eggs adn no air stone would push the same hatching percentage ?

Edison

Got mine today and it works great. Killed 6 in less than 10 minutes. Took it to the LFS and killed a bunch more. The owner of the store wants 2 of them. Will forward your email to him.

Uslanja

Hi Everyone! The zapper is really cool,and works great! We tried to get photos of it in use but the Aiptasia's just withdrew into the rock. So no photo! But, the probe on the zapper can go right into the rock after the Aiptasia, which is exactly what we did and we haven't seen those evil Aiptasia back!

Thanks Paul!!

Big Dog

I got the zapper also, it works! Thanks Paul ...........

I bought a established tank overrun with Aip and Maj. I set it up with new rock and quarantined the original rock. I'm hoping to salvage some of the original rock with corals and better encrusted pieces by electrocution and Aip-X.

I'm also experimenting with a method I read somewhere on the net. It includes using pieces of slate for them to attach to and hosing them off the slate. So far it's seems to be working.

What I do is cover the sides and most of the top of the tank. The light that can get in draws the baddies to the light but that's also where I have pieces of slate covering the rock. Currently I'm averaging about 50-60 nasties a day attached to the slate for rinsing away! We shall see, if nothing else the simple pleasure of zapping, smothering, and rinsing these pest away is enough to continue the effort!

BTW, anyone want some aiptasia and majanos ......................... :)

tnwillia

Hey Paul, Got my Short Fuge Zapper. Oh what a differene the shorter length makes. Thank you Sir!

Paul B

Your welcome, that is the shortest one I ever made. 3 more people want those short ones. Maybe I will make one for myself.

That sounds amazing! Would one have to quarentine the Aiptasia while zapping it? Mine's tucked under a rock and impossible to get to with dismantling the whole tank and disturbing it (don't want it to freak and send out spores!).

Paul B

No, you don't have to quarantine anything. Of course if it goes too far into the rock, nothing will get it out

Dakota76

I got one of these today and have killed approx 200 of the damned glass anemonies, aptasia and stupid blue mushrooms that spread like wildfire. One interesting thing was a large brittle star that was on 1 side of the tank came over as soon as i zapped the first anonmie and ate the white glob that was left behind. How it knew to home in on that spot ill never know but was pretty cool.

Anyways this is my first back at this site i started here when this site split from a previous one and then lost my pw to log back in. this tool really works folks, i have been reefing for going on 13-14 years now and almost recently gave up due to an outbreak of these stupid aptasia. i have spent way more on chemical treatments to be rid of these things if i had only know about this wonderful tool sooner it would have already paid for itself in all of the other wasted money attempts at eradication of these things.

Thanks Paul for making this its a reef saver