keeping a school of green chromis?

Talon33

update: unfortunately I lost two chromis too I don't know what so that leaves me with 3...but I planned for this that's why I got five now hopefully these 3 will remain and stay healthy

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for the update....sorry you lost 2 of them :(
Hope your other 3 do well & remain friendly to each other & all your other fish. :fingerx:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Planning to add three pretty soon so I look forward to updates to this thread. My tank is only about 65gal...not sure if I should just try to be happy with one. I guess if I get 3 & lose 2...I'll be happy with one :yup: ;)

Talon33

Well Diana as of about 2 weeks my school of 3 chromis are doing great, you may want to aim at having an ending school of 3. A couple may and probably will die off so think about that when you are buying them

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I don't like the "die off" part :(
I only have 5 fish and never had any to die in the almost 10 months my tank has been running.
Chromis are rated as easy care, hardy fish that are peaceful & prefer to school in groups....yet, it seems like from what I'm reading, they probably won't all survive.
Would my chances for them to all live be better by adding only one at a time spaced out a few weeks apart or all at one time? I just don't want any to die...I'm a little confused about this fish :confused:

Mike Johnson

Took the words out of my mouth. There is no such thing as acceptable "die-off".

You need to add them all at the same time in and odd number, 3, 5, 7. It would also help if you can get them in varied sizes.

Talon33

I don't like fish dying off either and it doesn't always happen, the first fish I ever tried was a school of 5 chromis and they all died but two and this was my recent attempt at the school of five and now I have 3. I have only had one other fish die in my DT and it was a blue jaw trigger that jumped out, also had a purple queen anthias die in QT. My tank has been running for a year too and I have some fairly moderate fish to keep I suppose, I have a PBT, green mandarin and a flame angel but there is something about chromis for some reason, everytime I buy an attempt at a school I have 2 die in the first week so just letting you know that it happens although could be the place where I buy the chromis so die that quickly

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I feel like I'm :threadjack: hi-jacking this thread a little but....
I went to the LFS (pet shop) and they had 4 little green Chromis in. They came in yesterday so they weren't priced yet. They weren't very colorful at all....more silvery than green. Here's my question: Will they get more green coloration or should I hold off and only buy ones that are pretty green? There isn't very good light on his tank, think they will brighten up under my LEDs? Ideas?? :fishy::fishy::fishy:

Talon33

You are not hijacking this thread at all, my questions have pretty much been answered and your questions go right along with the topic! When I went to buy my chromis I thought this as well, I wondered if they were even the same species as mine but when I took them home the colors showed nicely and with my experience I am not so sure these little guys actually ship well so they may be somewhat stressed from the pet store environment. I have one older and bigger chromis in my tank and their colors seem to enhance more with some age to the fish.

Mike Johnson

I agree with your statement that it very well could be the source. I'd recommend that you get the Blue/Green Chromis though. A total stranger to saltwater once commented on the fish, saying, "Are those fish blue or green."

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I agree with your statement that it very well could be the source. I'd recommend that you get the Blue/Green Chromis though. A total stranger to saltwater once commented on the fish, saying, "Are those fish blue or green."

Excited to give 3 Green Chromis a try....
Here they are (Barney, Betty & Bam-Bam RubbleFish :) ) 1st day in my new fuge....will move to DT in a couple of week if all goes well. :fingerx:
null_zpsff5c8313.jpg
[/IMG]

reefle

Excited to give 3 Green Chromis a try....
Here they are (Barney, Betty & Bam-Bam RubbleFish :) ) 1st day in my new fuge....will move to DT in a couple of week if all goes well. :fingerx:
null_zpsff5c8313.jpg
[/IMG]

you have the cleanest and prettiest fuge I've ever seen...LOL

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
What's the netting?

It's a produce (2 cantaloupe size) netting bag. The slots in the return PVC are large enough that I was afraid the Chromis might try hiding in there. I think I'll leave it in place (doesn't restrict flow) until I take the fish out.
Might also stop find pieces of Cheato from plugging up the plumbing ??