keeping a school of green chromis?

Talon33

I added 4 green chromis to my tank today with one already in there to make a school of 5...the one that's been in there pecks at the little ones a bit but when I added the 4 to the tank the one I already immediately went to school with the others...I love having the school but I have heard you will end up with just one. Is this true? if so is there a better schooling fish?

gimmito

From my readings and experience you almost always end up with a dominant individual or pair in the end. I hope you are one of the exceptions. I'm not sure your tank size, but maybe some hardy anthias ?

Akshay

I would say it depends on tank size.
I have seen a few systems with schools of bg chromis in them living on for years.
The only thing is, most of the tanks were decent sized,...about 5'+ in length.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I started with 5 blue green chromis in my 90 gallon. After a couple months, I ended up with one. He's doing well, but it was a fight to the death for a while there.

Talon33

well sounds like I may end up with just one...I have 5 incase a couple died then I could still have 3 but my tank is 6feet long, 125 gallons

I have two of my original batch. From memory the first one was done for in a few days..........but in the tank at the LFS for weeks! Figure that one out lol. Then gradually they diminished one by one.

That seems to be the normal way of proceedings, although there are examples of large numbers being kept with no problems.

Can't remember which fish "nerd" book I read it in but... I once read that most fish only shoal or "school" until they get comfortable in a tank then it's on like donkey kong. Something about instincts going from survival -> food -> breeding (competition). Throw an eel in there maybe that'll set their priorities straight lol. :wave:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I find it VERY STRANGE that ALL the reviews at LiveAquaria.com on the Blue Green Chromis say that they school well in large number groups. They are listed as peaceful and have LOTS of good reviews.
And I know there are several RS members that say it's hard to keep a school of them.
I think maybe the writers of the reviews at liveaquaria write them before they've had time to see how they really do :ponder2: :dunno:

DaveK

I find it VERY STRANGE that ALL the reviews at LiveAquaria.com on the Blue Green Chromis say that they school well in large number groups. They are listed as peaceful and have LOTS of good reviews.
And I know there are several RS members that say it's hard to keep a school of them.
I think maybe the writers of the reviews at liveaquaria write them before they've had time to see how they really do :ponder2: :dunno:

Keep in mind that what you are seeing is someone's opinion about the fish. As you can see from posts here, people get all sorts of different results with green chromis. Like a lit of other compatibility issues, you pay your money and you take your chances. Just goes to show you that anyone advice can be suspect. Also, it never hurts to have a plan B, in case things don't work out.

Talon33

Well I figure I will take my chances, would be great to keep a school but if not oh well I tried.
I think the forum is the most helpful when it comes to fish and the care they need and hobbyist experience. Liveaquaria may give a general idea but it does cover the little things that come with observations and experiences.

Mike Johnson

There's absolutely zero aggression in this tank; one reason I like it best. There sure have been a lot of fish killed in this thread. I've only lost one fish in the last few years. (knocking wood) Well, here's mine; Fred, Wilma, and Pebbles.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well I figure I will take my chances, would be great to keep a school but if not oh well I tried.
I think the forum is the most helpful when it comes to fish and the care they need and hobbyist experience. Liveaquaria may give a general idea but it does cover the little things that come with observations and experiences.

I think that's a good idea....as long as you have in mind that it's a little risky.
How many are you planning on getting?

lbiminiblue

I added 4 green chromis to my tank today with one already in there to make a school of 5...the one that's been in there pecks at the little ones a bit but when I added the 4 to the tank the one I already immediately went to school with the others...I love having the school but I have heard you will end up with just one. Is this true? if so is there a better schooling fish?
it did happen to me. They tend to drop off fairly quickly. I'm not sure why this happens in tanks. You could try Caribbean blue chrom is which in my experience are prettier, but I don't know if they have the same issue.

lbiminiblue

well they are peaceful, just not to each other. I have a theory: with larger free swimming fish like anthias, maybe 3 or so, they might stick together because they don't stand a chance individually. I think the lack of predators/ serious competition results in difficulty for schooling.

Mike Johnson

I would agree with that statement. Having other fish that are higher up the aggression chain will disperse the aggression between them.

Kongor

I had 7 in my 75 gallon and they are fine, been trying to catch them and phase them out but only got 3/7 so far. Always stuck together and never fought anyone, but I put a good dose of fear in them every time I looked them in the eyes.

But I also agree to the above statement, I added 3 anthias and the chromis are closer then ever, maybe I can even net all 4 at once!

lbiminiblue

I had 7 in my 75 gallon and they are fine, been trying to catch them and phase them out but only got 3/7 so far. Always stuck together and never fought anyone, but I put a good dose of fear in them every time I looked them in the eyes.

But I also agree to the above statement, I added 3 anthias and the chromis are closer then ever, maybe I can even net all 4 at once!
It seems like the best explanation. A lot of fish share the safety in numbers mentality, but only when they're vulnerable. I also hear that chromis, when kept in even numbers, will "team up" and attack the other group. Like without aggression from other fish, 4 chromis would split into two groups of two and fight. That's what happened to my first ones.