Kangkan's RSM S 500 Journey

orieng

After using my RSM 250 for three years and waiting from the day the new S Series of tanks were launched I was finally able to get delivery of my S 500 o the 15th December. The red Sea Distributor accepted my tank order last year on November and due to supply issues received the tank only the first week of December. I had to wait for more than 13 months after placing my order. I can proudly say that my S 500 is the first S Series tank in India. The tank was shipped to New Delhi and from there it was repacked in six wooden boxes and dispatched by train to Guwahati where I live .I love the tank and assembling it was as challenging as well as fun. When the first few SS screws stripped and started giving me trouble I was real worried that I will ruin the aluminum frame but as I got the hang of installing the screws the rest was a breeze.

The tank is also larger than what I imagined and Red Sea have engineered it to perfection. The Red Sea Video and their assembly manual was awesome but there a still a few things they can do to improve there assembly video. Rarely did I have to refer to the printed manual and when I did the answers was always there.

There is one piece of trim (The cover on the central light unit) which doesn’t fit well due to the wires routed through the side . If Red Sea had made a slot in the trim piece than the cover would have fitted without the application of any unnecessary force.

Once the assembly was over I tested my tank with fresh water and than on the 27th evening I shifted all my live rock, substrate , corals and fishes from my RSM 250 to my New S 500. I had to add about 50 kgs of fully cured live rock which i had kept in another tank for this move and also had to add some substrate . I also added a box of Prodibio Startup of 30 vials as a precaution . The tank is doing absolutely fine and in the coming few weeks I hope to add some more fish to it. Currently I have a yellow tang, two true percula flows, one chinese mandarin , one dr wrasse and some assorted corals from my old tank .

orieng

Love it mate!! :D

Thank you mate. You know it is very tough to get equipment here in India and getting the livestock is even tougher. I live in the north east part of India very far from the Sea and sustaining the hobby is a challenge. Everything that I need has to be ordered months in advance .

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I can only imagine how tough it all must be for you! I admire your passion ad patience to get it and it just makes your setup more awesome!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for the great new thread & congrats on the new beautiful tank - it very cool to see you prevail in getting a RSM to India & your being part of RS great world wide forum & the RSM Club - well done !

Cute kids !

orieng

My tank is quite silent but I have a small humming noise coming from the Skimmer. I have tweaked with the skimmer position on the shelf but the humming noise is still there. I will have to put in a additional foam padding on the skimmer shelf and see whether the noise reduces. any suggestion from the members in this regard?

meanwhile, a shot of my tank under moonlights

orieng

Update as of now. All fishes and corals doing well. No new additions at the present. Skimmer is also doing fine.

orieng

One thing I miss in this tank is a switch for the moon lights and a light inside the sump compartment. Red Sea should have thought about providing both but I have installed a led light in the sump with a flexible stalk and it is serving my purpose. Here is a pic of my led light
IMG_1203_zps9b3e2bca.jpg

LakeLivin

I totally agree about the light and I'm going to search amazon for something like you have today. Tank is looking great by the way!

orieng

It is a Philips led light.. The model is a wall light with a name of " Ledino". I am sure you will find a suitable light for your cabinet. Cleaning the sump, adjusting the skimmer and monitoring the sump water level have become so much easier now. Let us know when you install yours

orieng

Did a 10 percent water change last night and tested my water this morning.
Ammonia 0
nitrite. 0
Calcium. 430
KH. 14
Ph 8.4
Magnesium 1200
Phosphate. .3
No3. 2ppm

Test kits were Red Sea . I will be adding more CUC this evening and maybe a Mangrove if I can get my hands to take care of the phosphate and nitrate.

Wolffman64

Congratulation on the delivery of your tank! I admire your patience, I was struggling to wait the 7 weeks I had to wait for mine....

Tank is looking great, just remember to take is slow and let the tank adjust to the bio-load before you start adding more fish.

I fully agree with the light in the sump, I installed a waterproof LED strip (~$40) and plugged it in to the aux switch 2.

Have you got a chiller yet?

orieng

Congratulation on the delivery of your tank! I admire your patience, I was struggling to wait the 7 weeks I had to wait for mine....

Tank is looking great, just remember to take is slow and let the tank adjust to the bio-load before you start adding more fish.

I fully agree with the light in the sump, I installed a waterproof LED strip (~$40) and plugged it in to the aux switch 2.

Have you got a chiller yet?

I will be taking it slow. I have my old Hailea 1/3 rd HP chiller which I will be using in my tank. In this part of the world the humidity is very high and the summers temperatures go up to 35 C. Without a chiller you cannot run a tank.
I will be increasing my bio load very slowly and start adding more fish sometime next month. Thanks for stopping by

orieng

I need some pointers in adjusting the water level in my display tank. My water level fluctuates in the tank by a few millimeters every few hours. Moreover i don't see the water level in the fresh water tank dropping even though it is wintertime and there is no humidity. I have adjusted the ATO drip valve in the sump to 1 drop per second but the fresh water consumption is simply not there. Am I doing something wrong ?

LakeLivin

Others who have had the tank longer than me I'm sure will chime in but what I do know is that the water level in the display tank is controlled by the large "dial" on the right side back of the tank. If the tank water level is going up and down a "few MM every few hours" you must have a problem with the valve and or pipes that are in the back right corner I described. No way your tank display tank level should really be changing at all. Your sump is the place where the water level will fluctuate some but that's where the float valve comes in to play. Once the float valve drops to a certain point it will automatically add water to the sump from your ATO tank. I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "drip valve" in the sump. You must be referring to the float valve and it opens to let water in when it drops to a certain level and closes when it brings the sump back to it's full level. There should be no constant drip to adjust.

Maybe you can add a couple photos of your sump and be a little more specific with some details and we can help you figure it out.