kalk for under 40g. How do u dose?

Doogle

I'm wondering what you guys/gals are dosing for nano-ish tanks, like under 40g total water volume.
Ive been manually dosing small amounts of Mrs Wages but was wondering if I should try something else.
What's been proven to work for you and why?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Usually water changes can keep up with a small tank like that unless you have a bunch of stony corals. I did the whole dosing pump thing and hated it, I use calc reactors now but I also have a lot of water.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
add 1 tsp of kalk to 5g of top off water. You can go up, if needed. That's how I do it. If you're afraid that will be too much, start lower and monitor results.

Doogle

Since I don't have an ATO I'm just adding less than a 1/16th T spoon to my top up water (32oz/day) once a week (until i get a larger top up bucket adjusted)and it seems to crank up the calcium enough without effecting ph too much, I've been topping up when lights are out to help keep ph stable.
My tank is too clean already (0 nitrates) and I've been playing with it as I want to keep SPS and clams if I can. At least in my 36g corner tank if not some SPS in my 29g. So if I can keep up my cal with kalkwasser and ALK with baking soda I'll give it a try. My CAL is dropping roughly 50ppm a week and my ALK is dropping from 11 to 8ish DKH.
I really need to ditch these API test kits as they are too broad range for accurate testing. What's a good brand of test kits? Sailifert?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Mike all these calc tests r difficult to use. I haven't found one I like. U have a lot of sps in this tank?

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

engineer goby

Sailifert is good but the syringe they provide is crap. After repeated testing your fingers will rub the graduation lines clean off so what I do is wrap the new syringe in clear tape.

Doogle

Ya the API tests suck for sure and they run out of liquid fast using 20+ drops every time. I would like to find something better, maybe some LCD pinpoint probes or whatever they are called.

As for SPS I have 7 frags (2 monti caps and 5 sticks- Millie,digi,Birdsnests) so not alot yet but my water volume is very small considering all the rock and no sump. I'm wanting to get this down decently before I get a clam or anymore CAL suckers.

Rob I was reading your post about the syringe earlier, that seems kinda cheesy but probably better than API testers. At least it sounds like you get more testing for your money with the sailifert tests but I'm speculating. Sounds like a good start if I don't want to drop the cash to get probes etc.
I need mag tests too....

Plus I got a new addition today! Rob you will like this !
AE14DB07.jpg

Doogle

Oh ya Rob when I was in the hospital last week I was looking at the IV bag and thought about you and maybe hanging it over the tank at night, pretty cool!lol

dmatt88

Nice tyree dude. I quit testing n bought a reactor. I love it.

engineer goby

Sweet toadstool I live them. Saliferts good it's just annoying when you have half your test kit and you can't read the syringe

........Starting to figure this out

dmatt88

Sweet toadstool I live them. Saliferts good it's just annoying when you have half your test kit and you can't read the syringe

........Starting to figure this out

Living the toadstool way. Live it brother. Live it.

Choff

First, sweet TS!

Check out Red Sea Reef foundation test kit. If you buy Red Sea individually, they are way expensive, but the kits are seasonable.

Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit (Ca, KH, Mg) - Bulk Reef Supply

I just bought it, only used it once so far, but my favorite so far over API, Hannah and Salifert. The titrator that comes with it is actually pretty cool and I'm also a sucker for a nice organized case.

Ya the API tests suck for sure and they run out of liquid fast using 20+ drops every time. I would like to find something better, maybe some LCD pinpoint probes or whatever they are called.

As for SPS I have 7 frags (2 monti caps and 5 sticks- Millie,digi,Birdsnests) so not alot yet but my water volume is very small considering all the rock and no sump. I'm wanting to get this down decently before I get a clam or anymore CAL suckers.

Rob I was reading your post about the syringe earlier, that seems kinda cheesy but probably better than API testers. At least it sounds like you get more testing for your money with the sailifert tests but I'm speculating. Sounds like a good start if I don't want to drop the cash to get probes etc.
I need mag tests too....

Plus I got a new addition today! Rob you will like this !
AE14DB07.jpg

Doogle

Ya the red sea tests don't look too shabby. I will consider them as well, thank you Choff.