Just started a sump and a little overwhelmed

Susan987

Hi, my name is Susan and I have upgraded from a 55 gal to a 90 gal and added a sump. I have live rock, corals and fish, everything looks really good, except my nitrates are getting up there. They drop quickly after water changes, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Mike Johnson

First, welcome to Reef Sanctuary! I grow Chaeto in my sump for nitrate reduction. Also you can step up the water changes. I do 10 percent per week.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Welcome to RS~! Can you take a photo of your sump so that we are able to see if there are any potential nitrate trap there? :)

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Nitrates and Phosphates are end results of the breakdown of biological matter. It isnt a matter of whether you will have it or not, its a matter of how much do you have to do to get rid of it. A sump with Chaeto can do well for reducing nitrates. Skimmers can get some nitrate/phosphates. Reactors can be used. Algae Turf Scrubbers can do well in NON SPS Systems. I have no skimmer on my 65g system with a Hanging turf scrubber. I am seriously considering removing or reducing its size. It strips the water so efficiently of nitrates/phosphates that my zoanthids started to shrink. If you have soft corals, IE Zoa's/mushrooms/leathers/polyps etc, which are photosynthetic, some nitrate/phosphate is req to feed the algae in the coral. It is possible to have water so devoid of nutrients that your coral can starve. The trick is to find a happy medium by first deciding what coral u want to keep. Softies and LPS like water that has some nitrates. Hard Corals, ie SPS prefer water as clean as possible. If you put some chaeto and a light in your sump, that will usually(no guarantees in this hobby), keep nitrates down. When the nutrients get high, you will notice rapid growth in the algae.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Here a great :read: on nitrates

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/77551-nitrate-problem.html#post1074453