Just ordered the Max S 650 - the journey begins

suspiria2

It takes a while to fill doesn't it!
I did take a while and it is not even filled all the way up. The missing return pump meant that we left the water level a few inches from the top.

Sorry to hear about the issues that you ran into, although from you last post it looks like things maybe looking up

DaveR11

I did take a while and it is not even filled all the way up. The missing return pump meant that we left the water level a few inches from the top.

Sorry to hear about the issues that you ran into, although from you last post it looks like things maybe looking up

Thanks Suspiria. Lost 4 fish and learned a painful lesson but things do look better for the other 7 in the hospital tank. I love my 650 and looking forward to how your build progresses.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
great start !

index.php

suspiria2

The cloudiness of the tank has almost gone, still waiting for the return pump and the chiller so the water level is below the skimmer level for now.
Should get the remaining equipment in the next few days, the LFS was surprised that the return pump was missing from the Red Sea package, the had not encountered that before

Attachments

• Cloudiness almost gone.jpg
    Cloudiness almost gone.jpg
    755.6 KB · Views: 43

suspiria2

Still waiting on the last few parts. One of the T5s was broken during delivery and the return pump was missing. The LFS contacted Red Sea to get the replacements and hopefully should be getting them today or tomorrow. Then we can get the Sump, Skimmer and Chiller going. Tank looks good even with just the rock, has a calming effect with just the water movement from the rear pumps.
Trying not to get impatient

Kman237

The Tank has arrived and has been set up (mostly).
Received the tank yesterday and got most of it installed, waiting on the Chiller, a light was broken when it arrived and it was missing the return pump. Should have these later in the week

Attached are some pics, nothing very exciting yet, just set up

Tank is still cloudy, of course with no return pump the sump is empty and skimmer has not been tested yet. The internal pumps are all running.

Thanks for all the input so far, I know there will be many more questions

Glad to hear the tank arrived with no problems! Looking good a nice smooth start!

suspiria2

Got all the parts of the tank. The return pump, skimmer and chiller have been installed.
Pump and Chiller are running fine, aquarium is general is not very noisy, the Chiller does make some noise but not too much.
As for the skimmer, at first it had a lot of foam and filled the cup in about 2 hours, just cloudy liquid. I switched off the skimmer and emptied the cup.
After starting the skimmer up again I can see that it is on and the skimmer pump is working and there is water coming out of the outlet pipe, however there is no foam in the cup at all. I tried adjusting the skim regulator and it did not appear to make a difference. This was late last night so maybe I was not giving it enough time. Also with being a brand new tank, no fish and no live rock maybe there is nothing to make the foam after the initial startup.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great to hear you got it all & up running... skimmer usually take a couple weeks of running to break in and your right it may have little bio-load to start...

suspiria2

Great to hear you got it all & up running... skimmer usually take a couple weeks of running to break in and your right it may have little bio-load to start...
I had read that they can take some time to break in, but wanted to make sure that i was not missing anything. I already managed to knock the water inlet valve to the skimmer and essentially turn off the water going to the skimmer. Didn't realize until I saw that there was no water coming out of the outlet of the skimmer.
First of what will be many issues while I am getting used to how all the pieces work and connect with one another.
No floods yet thankfully.

suspiria2

Played around with the skimmer a little more last night, I am able to raise and lower the water level in the cup but get no froth or bubbles. There is no bio-load in the tank so maybe that is why, otherwise the water in the cup is level and still.

suspiria2

I think I just got the protein skimmer working. The air intake tube had water in it so there were no bubbles forming, I switched off the skimmer for about an hour and it must have drained during that time and when I started it up again i could see bubbles.
It is a new tank so just watery clear bubbles for now but at least it appears to be working.

I after I had it running the were some water level changes in the tank and the sump but it looks like it has gone back to how it was before, although it did use some of the water from the ATO.
The skimmer is a little noisy but this may just be it breaking in (hopefully), although not bad with the cabinet doors closed.

If this actually continues to work then it looks like all the hardware is working

Attachments

• Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 38

suspiria2

It has been 3 weeks since the tank was installed and so far no disasters. Today is noticed some very small white dots that were moving around on the glass. I have attached a picture although it is not very good. They are completely white and just seem to be moving along the glass. I am not sure if these are copepods or something else. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• New Tank Inhabitants.jpg
    New Tank Inhabitants.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 39

suspiria2

Started to get some cleanup crew in the tank. Getting algae on the glass and rock and some diatoms on the substrate. So far got 20 snails and 2 fire shrimp. No casualties yet although I have had to rescue some upside down snails. have been feeding the shrimp on frozen mysis shrimp.

Are there any recommended cameras that people use to take tank shots, I have been using the phone and the pictures are only OK. Could be me of course

Attachments

• Fire Shrimp.jpg
    Fire Shrimp.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

suspiria2

Tank will have been running for 1 month on Saturday. It has had a cleanup crew of about 20 snails for about 10 days and 2 fire shrimp for about 1 week. So far the numbers look good, the ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and the nitrate is at around 20. I did test for Magnesium and Calcium and they were both low, 1200 and 330 respectively but I have been dosing for the past few days and will hopefully see the levels rise.
I am planning on adding 3 Chromis into the tank this weekend. I have had them in a quarantine tank for about 5 weeks and they look healthy and are eating well.
I will need to get something new to quarantine, maybe a couple of clown fish or maybe a foxface. Not really sure, see what the LFS has.

Other fish we are thinking of are maybe a Royal Grammer, a few tangs (Kohle, Naso and powder brown) these will probably one of the last fish added.
Will probably get a lawnmower blenny as well.

Not sure on what others to get, will probably stop at around 12-15 fish. Any ideas from anyone?

Will start looking at some beginner Corals as well

It will be nice to get some life in the tank instead of looking at rocks or snails

suspiria2

Finally moved my 3 Chromis to the main tank. They appear to be happy to be out of quarantine, they do look very small in the tank. I tried to take a picture with my phone but all i managed to get was small fish shaped blurs.
I bought a Foxface who is currently in quarantine. He was really washed out for about the first 24 hours but is looking brighter now and it picking at a nori sheet that I put in the tank for him. Hopefully get him moved over in 3-4 weeks.

I am thinking of getting a lawnmower blenny as well, I read that they do not really need to be quarantined but I am not sure if I want to take the risk. Although that would mean adding substrate to the quarantine tank.

Nice to have fish in the display tank

suspiria2

Did my first 20% water change this past weekend, tank does look a lot brighter and the hair algae is diminishing. 5 Weeks in and all the equipment, pumps, lights and even the skimmer appear to be working well.

Still just the 3 Chromis in the Tank and at least 1 or 2 weeks before the Foxface moves from the QT.
Tank is looking good although quite empty. I am going to test the Mg and Ca levels tonight and see if it is ready for a coral or two. Planning on going to the LFS tomorrow night, they will be getting new stock in tonight. Maybe get the lawnmower blenny as well.
The fire shrimp are doing well and I think I have only lost 2 snails

As a side note I just registered for MACNA for next year should be interesting as I am so new to the hobby, and being in San Diego it is only 2 hours drive away.

Attachments

• FireShrimp.jpg
    FireShrimp.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32