Just ordered the Max S 650 - the journey begins

suspiria2

Moved the Fox-face into the display tank after about 3 weeks in quarantine. He looks much happier to be in the big tank, already starting to eat the hair algae.
I got two percula clownfish to put into quarantine, they have started to settle in and were eating last night.
Got 3 corals to start, one red/orange mushroom, one green/red zoanthid and one white flowerpot. The zoanthid was also fully open about 4 hours after getting it into the display tank. The flowerpot is still closed, will wait to see what happens.

I will have pictures to follow

suspiria2

Got home tonight to find that one of the chromis had decided that life had no more meaning and had managed to jump out of the tank into my dogs water bowl. I went to change the dogs water and there was a dead fish staring up at me from the bottom of the bowl.
Are chromis known to jump? I have 2 left now.

The flowerpot coral did open up a little today until one of the fire shrimp decided to walk over it

ziggy

Moved the Fox-face into the display tank after about 3 weeks in quarantine. He looks much happier to be in the big tank, already starting to eat the hair algae.
I got two percula clownfish to put into quarantine, they have started to settle in and were eating last night.
Got 3 corals to start, one red/orange mushroom, one green/red zoanthid and one white flowerpot. The zoanthid was also fully open about 4 hours after getting it into the display tank. The flowerpot is still closed, will wait to see what happens.

I will have pictures to follow
are the 10 snails and few shrimp the only CUC you used? Did you dip the corals before putting them in?

suspiria2

So far I have 20 snails and and the 2 shrimp. No other CUC as yet. The foxface is doing a good job with the algae, the amount of hair algae is down about 40%.

I will probably get some more CUC, maybe not crabs though they can be troublesome. Some different snails perhaps.
I am due to go to the LFS on Friday to see if they have any new corals

I did dip the corals, I used Revive Coral Cleaner from Two Little Fishes.
The flowerpot coral has been opening today so it looks like it is settling in, dont have a picture of it yet

The clownfish are doing well in the quarantine tank, I have a picture but it is fuzzy. The cheap LED lights for the quarantine tank stopped working so I had to improvise

Attachments

• Zoanthid.jpg
    Zoanthid.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Mushroom.jpg
    Mushroom.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Foxface.jpg
    Foxface.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 42
  • fuzzy clown picture.jpg
    fuzzy clown picture.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 38

suspiria2

I got some additional corals for the tank, a frogspawn and two others whose names i do not remember. Also have clowns in quarantine. One had a little damage to his top fin and there is a white dot where the damage is. Both clowns look healthy and have good appetites. They have been in quarantine for 10 days so far and no issues, just the one dot. I have included a picture of it although it is not very clear, the clown keeps moving.

Attachments

• Clown.jpg
    Clown.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Coral1.jpg
    Coral1.jpg
    935.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Coral2.jpg
    Coral2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Coral3.jpg
    Coral3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

suspiria2

Lost one of the clowns, he was sitting at the bottom of the tank and looks like he may have been beaten up by the larger clown. He must have died overnight and I cannot find him, probably the CUC got to him. The other clown is doing well.
I have a royal gramma in quarantine, should be able to put it in the display tank this weekend.
Might get a cardinal and what the LFS store was calling a shark fin wrasse, it looked interesting.
All the corals are doing well except one, the mushroom coral is turning white which I think means that it is dying. The water parameters are within the required levels so I dont know what is causing the problem, all other corals are fine.

suspiria2

I am looking to add tangs to the tank and will probably get 3 of them. This is a 150 Gallon tank with a 25 Gallon sump. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good trio to get so that they get along with a minimum of aggression?

DaveR11

I am looking to add tangs to the tank and will probably get 3 of them. This is a 150 Gallon tank with a 25 Gallon sump. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good trio to get so that they get along with a minimum of aggression?

Until my Ich outbreak I had a kole tang and a yellow tang in my 650. I added them at the same time and they were best buddies, swimming around together all the time. I have seen it written that one from the Zebrasoma genus, one from the Ctenochaetus genus and one from one of the other genuses work well together as they eat slightly different algaes but I have no personal experience of this. Certainly my kole and yellow fed differently, with the kole picking up a lot of the coral sand and really rasping the rocks with its mouth.

I still have the yellow and plan on getting another kole in due course.

suspiria2

Added the royal grammar to the display tank. He is settling in, not bothering the other fish. Got some new fish for the quarantine tank, a cardinal, coral beauty and a naoko wrasse. I hope the coral beauty does not cause problems with the corals when moved to the display tank. The LFS was having a pre thanksgiving 20% off sale. Apparently the wrasse is quite unusual for them to have in stock. I will have some pictures soon

suspiria2

Couple of new pictures, one of the Sharkfin Wrasse and one is a partial tank shot. These were taken with a phone so the quality is not that good

Attachments

• Tank Pics.jpg
    Tank Pics.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • Sharkfin Wrasse.jpg
    Sharkfin Wrasse.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 111

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Beautiful sharkfin !
index.php

suspiria2

Have to report that the Sharkfin Wrasse dies this afternoon. He was sluggish yesterday and was staying at the bottom of the quarantine tank. He was looking worse this morning and died a few hours ago. I tested the water and did not see any ammonia or nitrite, had some low nitrate. The Coral Beauty still in the quarantine tank looks fine and is active. I guess the wrasse was just not doing well. A shame as he looked interesting and would have made a good addition to the tank.

suspiria2

Got some new pictures, also got a new sharkfin (Naoko) Wrasse that is doing well in the main tank. Got a new few corals as well and a pincushion urchin. The urchin likes to wear unsecured corals as hats. Added some new pictures

Attachments

• Foxface and Chromis.jpg
    Foxface and Chromis.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • Naoko Wrasse.jpg
    Naoko Wrasse.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Roya Gramma.jpg
    Roya Gramma.jpg
    929.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Urchin with hat 2.jpg
    Urchin with hat 2.jpg
    967.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Urchin with Hat.jpg
    Urchin with Hat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39

suspiria2

I currently have a total of 10 fish in the 650.
2 Chromis
1 Clown
1 FoxFace
1 Naoko Wrasse
1 Whipfin Wrasse
1 Orange Spot Goby
1 Cardinal
1 Royal Gramma
1 Coral Beauty

I was thinking about adding another Dwarf Angel, possible a Flame or Lemon Peel. Would that cause problems with a Coral Beauty already being present or would the tank be big enough to give them each enough space?

I will probably add another 4 fish before I am done, the last 3 of which will be Tangs (not sure which tangs yet, probably a Kole and 2 others).

suspiria2

First post in a while, have been in the process of quarantining a regal angel for about 5 weeks, should be ready for the main tank on Friday. Checked that he was eating in the store and has been eating in quarantine well. Mainly mysis and krill. He is about 5 inches in size at the moment. Pictures will follow after the move to the DT

Lost the whipfin wrasse, he managed to jump out of the tank

Just a few more fish to go, maybe one more tang ( i currently have 1 Kole tang). Undecided between a sailfin (large size) or a powder brown (disease prone). Then maybe a 2 more, not sure what to get.
Managed to talk my wife out of wanting a Moorish Idol. Might try a Mandarin, tank is 6 months old and maybe could support it?

I would be glad to hear any thoughts on what to have as the last couple of fish, looking to have a total of 14 fish for now